iphone 3GS

Palm and Apple have both issued slightly passive-aggressive statements on the subject of the Palm Pre’s support for Apple’s iTunes software.

When Palm revealed the Palm Pre’s secret iTunes support at last month’s D7 conference we just sort of assumed that they had worked with Apple to make it happen. Not so. It turns out that Palm had to basically make the Pre pretend to be an iPod to fool iTunes into synching with it.

Apple, for its part, is not happy. It issued a statement on Tuesday that read:

“Apple is aware that some third-parties claim that their digital media players are able to sync with Apple software. However, Apple does not provide support for, or test for compatibility with, non-Apple digital media players and, because software changes over time, newer versions of Apple’s iTunes software may no longer provide syncing functionality with non-Apple digital media players.”

In other words, don’t get too used to iTunes support - we can and will take it away on a whim.

Palm has responded with:

“If Apple chooses to disable media sync in a future version of iTunes, it will be a direct blow to their users who will be deprived of a seamless synchronization experience. However, people will have options. They can stay with the iTunes version that works to sync their music on their Pre, they can transfer the music via USB, and there are other third-party applications we could consider.”

In other words, “Whatever, Apple. Bring it.”

It will be interesting to see how this plays out. Is iTunes support really such a big deal for Pre owners? Will Apple have to jump through hoops to break iTunes on the Pre while still allowing genuine iPods/iPhones to sync?

I much prefer that the microsd in my BB shows up as a drive and I can just drag albums to it...no shitty software in the way

I much prefer that the microsd in my BB shows up as a drive and I can just drag albums to it...no shitty software in the way

wah wah wah

iTunes works juuuust fine..

I've had my phone upgrade to 3.0 since the weekend and it's been working like a champ.

I'm waiting for the jailbreak devs to get their jailbreak software out.