Intel vs AMD

SpangeMonkee said:
oh well.. i'm a f4nboi.

AMD fo l!f!

Abit: Never Again.

well, you do know that technically the abit you hate dosn't exist anymore after being acquired and all.

Anyhow buy what you can afford, just realize that the usual is not always true as it was before. Currently AMD is more expensive than Intel for the most part, netburst is dead and core 2 is on top at least until the newer amd chips come out (maybe) if possible you want to buy am2 if you go amd, but you likely wont find a AGP version then you'll have to get 939. it may be hard period to find a recent AGP P4 board too.

another tidbit I just found out. when AMD goes socket AM3 in the next year or two it will also be compatible with AM2 chips while Intel is currently planning a socket change every new revision of their chips. Keep in mind this does not mean that you'll be able to use AM3 chips on a AM2 board. Something to keep in mind if you got a budget

Arátoeldar said:
The kentsfield quad cores should be released early next year. Plus they will run on Conroe supported motherboards.

To my knowledge the only backwards support that has been promised is on the server side which is woodcrest and clovertown while its likely they will keep the same package I dont think its been officially confirmed. I know that I've heard at least in rumor form that its likely going to change one more time by the time kentsfield comes out because of memory changes but I can't find it.

Note this is for an original Athlon 64, it may have lengthened since.
Athlon64 pipelines usually equal 12 on integer calls and 17 on floating point. all I can find is offically its considered a 15 stage pipeline. as I meantioned before Core 2 is a 14 stage pipeline.