Inscrutable corporate policies

itburnswhenipee

Lonestar
May 25, 2005
Maryland
Marklar
₥797
I've worked for a number of companies in my life, but my current employer has a policy that just baffles me. They demand that you have any and all vacation time scheduled. If you have even an hour of unscheduled vacation time you get an endless litany of reminders from your boss who, in turn, gets an endless litany of notices from HR about a direct report who has unallocated vacation time.

Now, this is fucking retarded. I've never encountered or even heard of such a thing at any other company, and I cannot think of why they are so anal about it.

Do any of you yahoos work in a HR capacity? If so, can you explain this in a way that doesn't sound like, "HR is useless and constantly needs to justify its existence by fucking with every employee whenever possible?"

Also, if we're required to select a post icon before submitting a thread why the hell is there a "No icon" choice?

I've worked for a number of companies in my life, but my current employer has a policy that just baffles me. They demand that you have any and all vacation time scheduled. If you have even an hour of unscheduled vacation time you get an endless litany of reminders from your boss who, in turn, gets an endless litany of notices from HR about a direct report who has unallocated vacation time.

Now, this is fucking retarded. I've never encountered or even heard of such a thing at any other company, and I cannot think of why they are so anal about it.

Do any of you yahoos work in a HR capacity? If so, can you explain this in a way that doesn't sound like, "HR is useless and constantly needs to justify its existence by fucking with every employee whenever possible?"

Also, if we're required to select a post icon before submitting a thread why the hell is there a "No icon" choice?

Do you have to schedule it by a certain time or all right at the start of the fiscal year?

that's ridiculous. I can understand maybe a month at a time, but how the hell you gonna put in vacation for events that haven't been slated yet, and aren't up to you to schedule?

Exactly. My boss says, "Just put it down and go back and change it later when you really are going to use vacation time." Which is a fine workaround, I suppose, but it's still stupid.

They are trying to make their job easier by making your life harder.

Also, every company Ive ever worked for is like that, I thought it was the norm. Getting the third degree because you didnt fill out a form when you were an hour late because of a snowstorm is pretty much my life story *sigh*

Quite frankly I would tell them, like an adult, that it's an idiotic policy and that I would get back with them when and if I decided to take vacation.

I hate HR people and think most of them are worthless.

Hey, Knyte will agree with you 100%.

But yea, that's a stupid policy. I usually don't know about vacations until 4-6 months in advance, sometimes less depending on the magnitude of the vacation.