Infra Red Distribution

S

smileynev

I want to be able to control my tivo, located in the future family room, from my master bedroom upstairs. Whats the best method, and what would I need to buy to do this? I'm looking at various IR receivers, emitters, and connection blocks, and I'm wondering whats easier/cheaper/better for getting the signal from up there to downstairs, over coax, over existing phonelines, over a dedicated cat5 line, or some other way.

theacoustician said:
serial control, not ir
Links? Hardware? If I want to control other devices besides the tivo, without serial, that wouldn't work. What kind of cabling would you use to run from the IR receiver to the other end?

ChikkenNoodul said:
You could always train the dog to hit the buttons you want.
My dog is trained to ring bells when she wants out, and she understand most english without changing the tone of your voice.

Dalila is smoort.

Pancake Wagon said:
Links? Hardware? If I want to control other devices besides the tivo, without serial, that wouldn't work. What kind of cabling would you use to run from the IR receiver to the other end?
run it serial then use a ir blaster with a serial port on it. i say this because if you dick around with a remote in one room, you have no way of knowing if the signal ever got sent. you need real feedback for this kind of system to work.

you're trying to do a control system on the cheap and its not going to work out well. it will only half work and be more of a pain than a help. either spend the money to do it right or don't do it.

April23 said:
My dog is trained to ring bells when she wants out, and she understand most english without changing the tone of your voice.

Dalila is smoort.
One of my cats can find cylindrical objects (Pens, chapsticks, lipsticks, x-acto knives) no matter where they are hidden.

He climbs up on counters and digs through bags, purses, under papers, whatever to find them.

If I could somehow harness that talent.....