In this thread....

Galen said:
There are exceptions. Trinity College Dublin is a university, so is UCDublin and Galway. I think you're pointing out that we have Further Education Colleges here as well (for people aged 16 and up, I think) where students can attain lesser qualifications. IB's, BTEC's etc.

we have a similar system, i think. you can go to school (after high school, or 12th grade) for two years and get an associate's degree, you can go for four years for a bachelor's degree, or you can go on for a master's or doctorate's.

Galen said:
There are exceptions. Trinity College Dublin is a university, so is UCDublin and Galway. I think you're pointing out that we have Further Education Colleges here as well (for people aged 16 and up, I think) where students can attain lesser qualifications. IB's, BTEC's etc.

The University of California has a Dublin campus? Interesting.

Thorn Bird said:
we have a similar system, i think. you can go to school (after high school, or 12th grade) for two years and get an associate's degree, you can go for four years for a bachelor's degree, or you can go on for a master's or doctorate's.
The usual route here is to take A Levels', on completion of these, providing you get good grades, you will be accepted to the university of your choice. Bachelor's here are usually 3yrs (Unless of course, it's an MBBCh, BDS, BVS, BAO etc.) However, we don't award doctorates prematurely. I've never met someone here with a JD, yet in the US everyone and their grandmother has one.

BigDov said:
Hmm...... parenting class. Wouldn't that give you someone else's basis for what's right and wrong for your child? Don't you have more fun just winging it as you go?

;)

i really mean more of a prep class. how to do diapers feeding, what to expect, how to handle parenting frustrations, etc. i think so many people go blindly into babyhood without knowing anything, and i think often times, that's how babies end up malnourished, or bashed against a wall, or with their skulls bashed in...that's how three-year-olds are left at home by themselves while parents go to work...
i could go on, but i hope you get the gist of it. it's not to teach people what to believe, it's just more common sense stuff.

Bubbles said:
Nevermind. I just don't get the difference I guess.
FE College is where you go if you wish to persue art, or didn't score high enough in exams at 16 to get back into school to study for A Level's. It's really another way to get into university, though it usually tends to be the bums choice.

Galen said:
The usual route here is to take A Levels', on completion of these, providing you get good grades, you will be accepted to the university of your choice. Bachelor's here are usually 3yrs (Unless of course, it's an MBBCh, BDS, BVS, BAO etc.) However, we don't award doctorates prematurely. I've never met someone here with a JD, yet in the US everyone and their grandmother has one.

not really...it's more like everyone and their grandmothers have bachelor's degrees...

Thorn Bird said:
i really mean more of a prep class. how to do diapers feeding, what to expect, how to handle parenting frustrations, etc. i think so many people go blindly into babyhood without knowing anything, and i think often times, that's how babies end up malnourished, or bashed against a wall, or with their skulls bashed in...that's how three-year-olds are left at home by themselves while parents go to work...
i could go on, but i hope you get the gist of it. it's not to teach people what to believe, it's just more common sense stuff.

Got ya. Yeah I'd agree, there are definitely some parents that would benefit from that.

Thorn Bird said:
not really...it's more like everyone and their grandmothers have bachelor's degrees...
I'll have an MB BCh BAO (3 Bachelors) by the time I've finished my course (5 years), though I may persue an MD (another 3 years). I haven't made up my mind yet.

Galen said:
You have alot more sense than most, you wouldn't consider going back to college or uni?

I actually want to go back and take a class every once in a while in a subjec that interests me, but no, I'll never go back full time, there's no piont for me too. I don't need a degree for photography either (not just being a mom), just a portfolio, and I'm constantly working on that.

I could definitely see the benefit of some business/marketing classes and I really want to go take some graphic design and typography classes. I love doing that stuff.

i once stood up on the bed in the middle of the night, grabbed the sheets and blankets, threw them over my head onto the floor and when the chick who was also occupying the bed inquired as to my actions i yelled, "I HAVE TO GIVE THEM TO THE MAN." then i went back to sleep.

thrawn said:
i have a bruise on my arm from a 12ga
you suck at the guns, unless of course you mean they shot you with a riot gun, which is something I've always wanted to try

FlamingGlory said:
you suck at the guns, unless of course you mean they shot you with a riot gun, which is something I've always wanted to try

it was either the 12ga or getting drunk and falling over the bathroom sink. it's all still a little fuzzy.