In this thread....

Thorn Bird said:
nice! i wish i would've done some singing in high school. i was involved in sports and never even thought about it. i can carry a tune, but no one would pay to hear me. know what i mean? i think i would've been fine in chorus or something with a bunch of people.

so do you know a lot about opera?

I know enough to pronunciate the Italian and French. I know what I like and don't like, but I would have to get out my books to tell you anything educational.
It was just a small piece of my musical passion. I sang opera, was in the chorus which performed at Epcot center's Christmas program every year, I was in a show choir (signing and dancing), and an all womens choir, and a chamber choir, and I did ALOT of theater and musical theater. Musical theater was my original college major. I haven't done anything in years and I started smoking, so now I suck at the one thing I ever really loved.

But, on a better note, I did get a part in a local production of My Fair Lady. Rehearsals start on Sept. 28th. Hopefully this will be a stepping stone back into my favorite world.

Bubbles said:
I know enough to pronunciate the Italian and French. I know what I like and don't like, but I would have to get out my books to tell you anything educational.
It was just a small piece of my musical passion. I sang opera, was in the chorus which performed at Epcot center's Christmas program every year, I was in a show choir (signing and dancing), and an all womens choir, and a chamber choir, and I did ALOT of theater and musical theater. Musical theater was my original college major. I haven't done anything in years and I started smoking, so now I suck at the one thing I ever really loved.

But, on a better note, I did get a part in a local production of My Fair Lady. Rehearsals start on Sept. 28th. Hopefully this will be a stepping stone back into my favorite world.

very cool! it's important to hang on to your passions. i hope it goes well for you!

can you recommend any opera? i know NOTHING about it.

Thorn Bird said:
very cool! it's important to hang on to your passions. i hope it goes well for you!

Of course there are some classic soundtracks that are definately worth a listen. La Traviata and Madame Butterfly are both beautiful stories. Check this website out, it may help or it may not. The key to opera is to listen for the story. If you can close your eyes and feel the story, you have found an opera thet you will enjoy. Most is not performed in English and the ones that are loose something in translation, so all I can say is trial and error. I will locate some of my books and get back to you woth more info if I can. :)

http://www.aria-database.com/links.html

Bubbles said:
Of course there are some classic soundtracks that are definately worth a listen. La Traviata and Madame Butterfly are both beautiful stories. Check this website out, it may help or it may not. The key to opera is to listen for the story. If you can close your eyes and feel the story, you have found an opera thet you will enjoy. Most is not performed in English and the ones that are loose something in translation, so all I can say is trial and error. I will locate some of my books and get back to you woth more info if I can. :)

http://www.aria-database.com/links.html

thank you. :heart:

Thorn Bird said:

While is not really opera may I suggest you start with music like Le Miserable or Phantom of the Opera.

One of my favorite pieces is Handel's Messiah as conducted by Christopher Hogwood.

Some of my favorite Choral music is done by John Rutter and the Cambridge Singers.

:heart:

Le Miserable and Phantom of the Opera are NOT operas at all. Two of my favorite musicals, but don't enter into either thinking that you are getting a true form of the art. Phantom of the Opera happens to be my hands down most favorite show and soundtrack ever and I highly recommend you get into the Broadway version, not the movie, but keep in mind that this is American enteratainment and not the true art form of opera.

edit: and the Handel's Messiah is one of the most recognized musical pieces inteh world, but is a concerto, not an opera.

Bubbles said:
Le Miserable and Phantom of the Opera are NOT operas at all. Two of my favorite musicals, but don't enter into either thinking that you are getting a true form of the art. Phantom of the Opera happens to be my hands down most favorite show and soundtrack ever and I highly recommend you get into the Broadway version, not the movie, but keep in mind that this is American enteratainment and not the true art form of opera.

edit: and the Handel's Messiah is one of the most recognized musical pieces inteh world, but is a concerto, not an opera.

I like Rigormortis by Joe Green

Bubbles said:

Yes; I know that Le Mes and PoO are musicals I just was having a brain fart for the name of the genre.

Yes I now that Handel's Messiah is a concerto. I was ony a recommendation for some good music.

A couple more resources for TB

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_famous_operas

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_operas