Thread In the future the use of chemotherapy will be like something from the dark ages

Luckily, I build the systems that link CT/MRI to treatment planning to Record & Verify to Billing. I have a horrible bedside manner.

so you just design the systems that allow the different computer systems to talk to eachother? That's interesting.

well, once Jenny McCarthy and Jim Carrey spoke up about it. You have to admit, their validity on the topic speaks volumes...

Nevermind that the people agreeing with it never bothered to look into any research on it, or they might have learned that the only study that ever showed a link was falsified, the data manipulated to achieve the pre-determined outcome he was being paid for, the doctor who did the study has had his medical license revoked, and the journal it was published in has repeatedly denounced and retracted the study

the bone marrow thing is already being phased out in favor of stem cell donation that can do the same thing

Statements like this are pretty dangerous. I know a lot of people desperate for a bone marrow donor match. The stem cell technology is not quite there yet for everything. I'm also excited about the research being done with cord blood but still...there are a lot of people that still need bone marrow transplants to live.

Nevermind that the people agreeing with it never bothered to look into any research on it, or they might have learned that the only study that ever showed a link was falsified, the data manipulated to achieve the pre-determined outcome he was being paid for, the doctor who did the study has had his medical license revoked, and the journal it was published in has repeatedly denounced and retracted the study
Didn't it still take several years for him to be discredited?

Didn't it still take several years for him to be discredited?

Yes and no. It took a little while for all of the details about how manipulated the study was to come out, but people actually involved in science know better than to accept one study as gospel. Nobody who actually understands how science and expermints work were going around after the study saying there was a link. All the study theoretically would have shown is that there was a possibility of a link based on the parameters of that study. In order for it to be generally accepted as legtitimately linked there would have to be many, many studies with large sample sizes and much more random sampling, and these studies would have to largely yield similar results.

:p
Yes Auggie, I do actually science. I just wondered how long the gap was between him publishing it, and everyone actually reporting how wrong the study actually was. I seem to remember that I was in Tallahassee at the time, so it was fairly recently that it was reported as wrong, but the study was around for a while before that.

bro_do_you_even_science-179746.jpg

ycKAZDEVqEOlEZO96zBF_w2.jpg

so you just design the systems that allow the different computer systems to talk to eachother? That's interesting.

well, yes and no. There is a strong clinical knowledge of the radiation oncology treatment lifecycle and it's implimentations along the way that are also included. I have probably enough accumulated knowledge in my head to get a masters in dosimetry at this point.

well, yes and no. There is a strong clinical knowledge of the radiation oncology treatment lifecycle and it's implimentations along the way that are also included. I have probably enough accumulated knowledge in my head to get a masters in dosimetry at this point.

Can you get April a free MRI? Her insurance is being fgt-like

Statements like this are pretty dangerous. I know a lot of people desperate for a bone marrow donor match. The stem cell technology is not quite there yet for everything. I'm also excited about the research being done with cord blood but still...there are a lot of people that still need bone marrow transplants to live.

I know and agree, stem cells can do a lot of what marrow can but as of yet not everything... still it is preferred when it can replace it

about 5 years ago I came up as a match to this 19 year old with leukemia at first they wanted to do the marrow, but instead opted for stem cells, not as painful but the process was long as hell, a few years before and stem cells would not have even been considered

I know and agree, stem cells can do a lot of what marrow can but as of yet not everything... still it is preferred when it can replace it

about 5 years ago I came up as a match to this 19 year old with leukemia at first they wanted to do the marrow, but instead opted for stem cells, not as painful but the process was long as hell, a few years before and stem cells would not have even been considered

I think you and he are talking about different things. I was also on the list for a match (but the stupid fucking fuckers at the processing place lost my paperwork 5 times between when i was a confirmed match, and when the guy urgently needed the donation). He fucking died because of their bureaucratic fuckups.

Ok, rant done. What i was trying to say was that it doesnt take years. They give you three doses of some drug, that pushes the stem cells from your bones out into your blood, then they filter it out with PBSC. Its a quick process.

Im still upset that i had some chance to help that guy, and some fucking paper pusher essentially condemned him to death.

I think you and he are talking about different things. I was also on the list for a match (but the stupid fucking fuckers at the processing place lost my paperwork 5 times between when i was a confirmed match, and when the guy urgently needed the donation). He fucking died because of their bureaucratic fuckups.

Ok, rant done. What i was trying to say was that it doesnt take years. They give you three doses of some drug, that pushes the stem cells from your bones out into your blood, then they filter it out with PBSC. Its a quick process.

Im still upset that i had some chance to help that guy, and some fucking paper pusher essentially condemned him to death.

I guess "quick" is subjective... I had 3 weeks injecting myself of that drug you are talking about. many blood tests and the day of donation, I was strapped to a machine both arms hooked up one taking blood, one putting it back for about 12 hours... given what the process does, I suppose that is quick... Btw. the kid I donated too also died but lasted 2 extra years from what I hear, never met him

ergh, i misread what you said. I thought you said that the bone marrow process took years, but you actually said it wouldnt have been considered in years prior.

Sorry