Hawt In praise of bass catchers

I have 8 basses and 1.5 basses worth or parts.
Entwistle sure.
I originally started on guitar at 13 but wanted a bass a few years later so dad got me a decent Japanese P copy at ChanuChrist (mixed family, long story).

Don't ever tell a woman you really like you play bass until you seal the deal.
Unless she sees you on stage...then just Imply your 1927 Steinway Series A is in the shop.

What’s your axe? Fav is Ibenez 5 string.
How long you been playing? 45 years(started on string bass,7 years of that)
Do drummers always blame you for their fuck ups? No - rarely. I keep a spare eye on the drummer. :) Guitards are bigger screw-ups - adding/subtracting bars.
How many @Strings are best strings? I prefer 5 - 4 leaves me wishing for more, 6 I start suffering a slight speed penalty. Although I have a 6 and a 12 string bass. Some things require more strings.
Is it only losers who play with a pick? No, it's just a different technique for sound & attack. Ditto with slap or plucking.
Entwistle or gtfo? Stanley Clark, Jack Bruce or a host of others. Ok, Entwistle had his shining moments.
I've had as many as 13 at one time, currently down to 7 plus 1-2 worth of parts.

I don't take the loser bait - I have always been quite happy with being a bass player. I think it was the early years of string bass - violin playing orchestra hotties seemed to think we were the biggest, baddest boys in the room. The things that occurred in the practice rooms. :hi2u:

bass players are groce pig whores
You heard that from your mom - can't help it she likes to start with some tossed salad.

Last edited:
Good job Ed. I'm too ADHD to go straight down the line and answer the questions in order.
I'm strictly a 5 string player since about 1997 but still have a couple 4s around. My 1941 Kay M1 upright is a 4 string, also I have a custom built Kay/Martin parlor bass which is also a 4 string.
I've played professionally part time since the mid 90s but I did take a hiatus due to 2nd hand smoke during most of the zeros. My lungs are toast.

Good job Ed. I'm too ADHD to go straight down the line and answer the questions in order.
I'm strictly a 5 string player since about 1997 but still have a couple 4s around. My 1941 Kay M1 upright is a 4 string, also I have a custom built Kay/Martin parlor bass which is also a 4 string.
I've played professionally part time since the mid 90s but I did take a hiatus due to 2nd hand smoke during most of the zeros. My lungs are toast.
I've taken breaks too. Oddly, I felt my playing improved each time - I had a different appreciation of where I sat in the mix. Smoke - one of the reasons I have never wanted to play in bar bands. Guess it would be a lot cleaner now that it is banned in most places. Just really not into the cover tune scene - I like doing original music. Actually, 70-80% covers would be fine if they are being tastefully covered and not just copied note4note.

What’s your axe?
Main ones nowdays are a Carvin kit bass and an Epiphone thunderbird.

How long you been playing?
34 years.

Do drummers always blame you for their fuck ups?
Good ones don't.

How many @Strings are best strings?
4 is standard, best is an opinion.

Is it only losers who play with a pick?
No.

Entwistle or gtfo?
Cut my teeth on John Paul Jones/Zeppelin though Entwhistle ain't no slouch.

If I ship my MIL back to the Philippines, I get my office/home studio back :)

She should get her own apartment or something and just come over to b̶a̶b̶y̶s̶i̶t̶ ̶f̶o̶r̶ ̶f̶r̶e̶e̶ visit the grandkids.

• Gravy
Reactions: nukes