GAY In before Dave: Gay's in the military, rock on!

If they finally allow gays in, openly, they should let them have a little rainbow ribbon to wear with their other ribbons.
Or at least let them wear more stylish shoes.

R. Lee Ermey won't be happy.

R+Lee+Ermey.jpg

which is total hypocrisy because he made money off playing a gay character in saving silverman

I am happy about the progress but still upset they are moving slowly and in a longer direction. The Pres actually has the power to just remove this bill without Congress approval. He has the ability to post a moratorium on dismissals this very minute while this study is going on. He didn't have to even commission a study and could just have asked for a vote, which would pass. He chose none of these options and instead is going for this very long and drawn out almost stalling approach that will not be as effective when the Dems lose seats in Congress in the midterm elections in Nov.
What do you mean he could have just asked for a vote? This repeal has to be done in the form of a law drafted and passed through Congress, not a wave of the presidential pen. And there is a de facto moratorium on discharges over this since now it takes a general-grade officer to begin the process and people can no longer be outed by third parties.

The President is the Commander in Chief in terms of orders but laws affecting the military are still the purview of Congress, not the EO. Yeah, he could have pushed harder for the issue but I think he's had other things on his mind. You know full well I'm in total support of this but quite honestly, it's an issue that affects tens of thousands of people. The economy, health care and the strategies in the middle east are a higher priority.

Oh how I wish the framers of the constitution had had the foresight to put in "thou shalt not make bills with wholly unrelated bullshit in them in order to kill the shit you don't like".

I completely agree. Each bill should be made and voted in isolation.

What do you mean he could have just asked for a vote? This repeal has to be done in the form of a law drafted and passed through Congress, not a wave of the presidential pen. And there is a de facto moratorium on discharges over this since now it takes a general-grade officer to begin the process and people can no longer be outed by third parties.

The President is the Commander in Chief in terms of orders but laws affecting the military are still the purview of Congress, not the EO. Yeah, he could have pushed harder for the issue but I think he's had other things on his mind. You know full well I'm in total support of this but quite honestly, it's an issue that affects tens of thousands of people. The economy, health care and the strategies in the middle east are a higher priority.

That moratorium is just a redesigned version of the same thing. And it could have been done earlier than 1.5 years AFTER the "fierce LGBT advocate" got into office.

He could have put a full moratorium on it.

http://www.palmcenter.org/press/dad...+Can+Halt+Gay+Discharges+With+Executive+Order

Under the law “the President may suspend any provision of law relating to promotion, retirement, or separation applicable to any member of the armed forces who the President determines is essential to the national security of the United States” during a “period of national emergency.” The statute specifically defines a “national emergency” as a time when “members of a reserve component are serving involuntarily on active duty.”

The second and third bases of presidential authority are contained within the “don’t ask, don’t tell” legislation itself. The law grants to the Defense Department authority to determine the process by which discharges will be carried out, saying they will proceed “under regulations prescribed by the Secretary of Defense… in accordance with procedures set forth in such regulation." Finally, the law calls for the discharge of service members “if” a finding of homosexuality is made, but it does not require that such a finding ever be made. According to the study, these provisions mean that the Pentagon, not Congress, has the “authority to devise and implement the procedures under which those findings may be made.”

R. Lee Ermey won't be happy.

R+Lee+Ermey.jpg

No he isn't.

http://www.marinecorpstimes.com/news/2010/03/marine_ermey_031410w/

I don’t have a problem with “don’t ask, don’t tell.” It works. Now all of a sudden, this illustrious leader of America decided he wants to put openly gay people in the military. But where are they going to live and take showers, and which bathrooms are they going to use?

I liken it to putting me in the woman Marine barracks. I would have a great time, but I don’t think they would like it very much.

If I’m taking a shower in an open shower bay, the last thing I want is some guy looking at me having sexual fantasies.

I think everybody in this country should have equal rights, but I don’t think we should infringe on someone else’s to give another person more.

I would hope you. Because of this policy, qualified soldiers have been let go, compromising the safety and cohesion of our military protecting us thru 2 wars.

She's Colombian. Their soldiers live in tree huts and worship robots.

That moratorium is just a redesigned version of the same thing. And it could have been done earlier than 1.5 years AFTER the "fierce LGBT advocate" got into office.

He could have put a full moratorium on it.

http://www.palmcenter.org/press/dad...+Can+Halt+Gay+Discharges+With+Executive+Order

It was not just a redesigned version, it's prevented others from getting discharged. More importantly, what you're suggesting could have easily galvanized the opposition to push back even harder and prevented progress from being made. They're not morons.

And again, he's had more important shit on his plate.

Ermey makes some good points. The military isn't suppose to be some happy feely organization where any lazy ass person can succeed. The military typically doesn't give a shit about people's feelings. One purpose of basic training is to weed out the people unable to do exactly what they want/need them to do. One reason women weren't allowed in combat situations for so long was the fear of them not being able to physically do something the male counter parts could do and the fact as a whole they tend to be more empathic to other people's feelings or right to live than men. In certain situations the military wants soldiers to kill without thought or care so the soldier can do it repeatedly without long term damage to the soldiers mind. War is horrific. The strong bond that soldiers form with each other helps them through a lot of stuff. If they feel like another person is gay or they will be judged by other dumbasses as gay they may not form the strong bond they need.

Either way has lots of pros and cons.

Last edited:
I think we often forget how powerful fear is as a tool. Soldiers are suppose to look like scary unfeeling killing machines so people will not try to fight them. It's the peace through fear idea. Jail is suppose to be scary so you are afraid of going there and you follow the rules.

The Cold War is a great example of that philosophy working. It was our fear of what could happen that kept the US and Russia from war many times.

Ermey makes some good points. The military isn't suppose to be some happy feely organization where any lazy ass person can succeed. The military typically doesn't give a shit about people's feelings. One purpose of basic training is to weed out the people unable to do exactly what they want/need them to do. One reason women weren't allowed in combat situations for so long was the fear of them not being able to physically do something the male counter parts could do and the fact as a whole they tend to be more empathic to other people's feelings or right to live than men.
Which are bullshit reasons to begin with. While on average that may be true it shouldn't prevent the female Marine who can outrun and out-shoot most males while carrying heavier packs.
In certain situations the military wants soldiers to kill without thought or care
This is not true at all. [/quote] so the soldier can do it repeatedly without long term damage to the soldiers mind.[/quote]And that's not the reason at all. The training received that conditions one to return fire has absolutely zero to do with long term mental damage; it's to ensure mission accomplishment and the survival of the unit. No one gives a fuck about PTSD when the rounds are going downrange.
War is horrific. The strong bond that soldiers form with each other helps them through a lot of stuff. If they feel like another person is gay or they will be judged by other dumbasses as gay they may not form the strong bond they need.
Same argument used in earlier wars when blacks were integrated into white units. It's no excuse.

I think we often forget how powerful fear is as a tool. Soldiers are suppose to look like scary unfeeling killing machines so people will not try to fight them. It's the peace through fear idea. Jail is suppose to be scary so you are afraid of going there and you follow the rules.

The Cold War is a great example of that philosophy working. It was our fear of what could happen that kept the US and Russia from war many times.
Again, no. In the current conflicts it's about far more than just fear. Counter-insurgencies are the graduate level of warfare. The same 1stLt calling in artillery and directing his platoon to storm a defended enemy position may have to talk to tribal elders about building a school just a few hours later.

The enemy is not stupid and the leadership in the military does not think they are.