Important question, should I transfer my job?

I would so jump on an opportunity like that, but I am single and have nothing to hold me in my current place.

What does Chim think? Where is his family? What do you really want to do?

I've always heard that people in Quebec are quite rude to Americans. I can't back that up as I've never been. I'd be worried though.

$5000.00 is really not that much for moving expenses. Dan and I got more than that from Toyota and we still wound up in serious debt over the move, and that was just going from Maryland to Ohio. You are looking at moving to a whole different country. Also, two trips to scout for a home isn't really all that much.

Real estate agents don't cost anything until you sell your current place. Make sure the company will be paying commissions and that it won't come out of the sale price of your current place.

If chim stays behind where will he live? Can you stand being separated from him for any extended period of time? What if there is a gap in between when you sell your condo and when you can move in to your new pad?

I don't even think this is a decision I would start to make until a promotion and financial compensation were discussed. Also, it sounds like you need to do a ton of research on cost of living and how marketable chim is going to be in that part of the world.

Sorry to be so negative, but I have become much more skeptical about company paid moves after going through it.

Incidentally, what company do you work for? Dan is curious.

Quebec is a beautiful place full of (contrary to popular belief) great people, and hopefully where I'll end up after a few years being a consultants dogsbody.

I'd jump at the chance sir, it's one hell of an opportunity.

I've always heard that people in Quebec are quite rude to Americans. I can't back that up as I've never been. I'd be worried though.

$5000.00 is really not that much for moving expenses. Dan and I got more than that from Toyota and we still wound up in serious debt over the move, and that was just going from Maryland to Ohio. You are looking at moving to a whole different country. Also, two trips to scout for a home isn't really all that much.

Real estate agents don't cost anything until you sell your current place. Make sure the company will be paying commissions and that it won't come out of the sale price of your current place.

If chim stays behind where will he live? Can you stand being separated from him for any extended period of time? What if there is a gap in between when you sell your condo and when you can move in to your new pad?

I don't even think this is a decision I would start to make until a promotion and financial compensation were discussed. Also, it sounds like you need to do a ton of research on cost of living and how marketable chim is going to be in that part of the world.

Sorry to be so negative, but I have become much more skeptical about company paid moves after going through it.

Incidentally, what company do you work for? Dan is curious.

I have been there for a total of 5 weeks. I didn't have any issues with being American. I think it was because I tried to speak French when ordering things and my French is better than theirs :fly: That and it looked like I was trying, so I guess I get bonus points for that.

The $5000 is over and above moving van costs, realtor costs, plane ticket costs. Honestly I don't see how this would get me in debt. Most people actually have extra when they do these type of transfers.

I think we could get away with chim up in Quebec (he is getting excited and listening to Speaking French tapes :fly: ) if we got married, especially with a Canadian license.

The decision isn't Yes or No, but rather, should be start talking or not about it. It is in such a preliminary phase that I am not worried.

But :heart: anyway. See you in less than a week!!

I work for ABB. www.abb.com

I would so jump on an opportunity like that, but I am single and have nothing to hold me in my current place.

What does Chim think? Where is his family? What do you really want to do?

Chim is kinda excited about the move. The move to be with me was startling for him because he only knew me out here in Cleveland, but I knew everyone and everything else. This move to Quebec would be a new and different experience for both of us. Neither of us know anyone or anything about the city. We would be starting on level ground.

His family is in Minn.

I kinda want to do this. I don't like Cleveland. I need a change. And if it doesn't work out, I can come back to Cleveland.