Important question, should I transfer my job?

dbzeag

Wants to kiss you where it stinks
Jun 9, 2006
Marklar
₥1,014
Should I transfer my position and work in Quebec City with my current employer?

I worked on a project earlier this year with Quebec and they liked my work so much they opened up a position for me. Should I take the transfer?

They would pay for a realtor to sell my current condo, $5000 in moving expenses, 2 trips paid for to scope out the place to find a home, and a realtor in Quebec to help me buy a home. I haven't discussed financial compensation or promotions yet with them. This is the early stages.

I have taken the Skilled Workers test for Quebecois-wannabes and I scored a 73 with chim as my spouse. I needed a 68 to pass with chim, 60 to go it alone.

The issue is if chim comes with me (and he will), he will be out of a job, at least for a little while. Also, while I can get by enough on French (at least written), chim is completely illiterate in French.

What do you think? Should I take the job? Should I take it alone and have chim join me later when he can get a job and learn the language? Should I leave well enough alone and stay where I am?

That depends on your relationship with Chim, if he is gung-ho about it then go for it.

If not, don't... work is not more important than a happy relationship.

Screw speaking French. If you speak English to them and they don't understand you punch them right in the mouth.

You complain about Cleveland, and you have an out now, and now you're curious if you should go or not?

Download Rosetta Stone for French. Also they speak English in Quebec too don't they?

You complain about Cleveland, and you have an out now, and now you're curious if you should go or not?

Download Rosetta Stone for French. Also they speak English in Quebec too don't they?

The fact chim can't transfer his job and we would have to rely on my money alone as well as the fact he can't speak french is the detering factors.

Most in older quebec don't know English.
If I was single, I would have nothing to lose. Now I have a fiance, or spouse by the time I get to Quebec if I go, it is much more difficult.

You only live once, it's not like Chim can't learn French, it's not all that hard.

Quebec City isn't too bad for french, there is a fair bit of english there, not as much as Montreal, but much better than rural areas. Most people under 40 in QC should be able to speak english, especially downtown. I recommend you get Chim some french language CD's and have a go. QC is a gorgeous city for sure, I've been a few times as it's only a 4 hour drive or so for me.

Quebec City isn't too bad for french, there is a fair bit of english there, not as much as Montreal, but much better than rural areas. Most people under 40 in QC should be able to speak english, especially downtown. I recommend you get Chim some french language CD's and have a go. QC is a gorgeous city for sure, I've been a few times as it's only a 4 hour drive or so for me.
So what you are telling me is that you are coming by to visit? :cool:

:drool:

I thought you lived in Ohio? Says your profile anyway.

So what you are telling me is that you are coming by to visit? :cool:

:drool:

I thought you lived in Ohio? Says your profile anyway.

Oops, that's from when mikey and I were trading names, it says Ottawa now.

Visiting is hard these days with the boy to look after, but I do travel that way for work sometimes.

Do you like the cold or paying more for your magazines? Research cost of living there vs. where you are now to make sure any pay raise balances it out.

Last edited:
With the US dollar tanking, being paid in Loonies would probably be nice.

The best way to learn a language is immersion. Don't bother with any Rosetta stone cd's anyway, since the french they speak in Quebec is entirely its own language.

I say do it.

Do it man!!!

Multiple reasons...

1. You can get married there!!!!
2. Canada currently PWNS USA
3. Absolutely beautiful place
4. Better job
5. No George Dubya

I can go on for hours, hrmmm...

If I loose more weight can you sneak me in your luggage?

Do it man!!!

Multiple reasons...

1. You can get married there!!!!
2. Canada currently PWNS USA
3. Absolutely beautiful place
4. Better job
5. No George Dubya

I can go on for hours, hrmmm...

If I loose more weight can you sneak me in your luggage?

We don't want your non tax paying ass here anyways! :heart: