Immigrants Heading Home

you can apparently now hire a laborer for $65/day and require them to provide their own transportation.

Eh? $65/day?!?

Let me do a quick breakdown of exchange rates from USD to SAR:

The exchange rate from USD to SAR is 7.5 to 1. (R7.50 to $1.00).

Using that exchange rate we multiply R7.50 x $65.00 = R487.50/day. Which is basically a little bit under what the average South African makes a day (With tertiary education).

Obviously the cost of living from there and here differs greatly but in general our laborers get paid an average of R5.00P/h for unskilled labor which is about R40.00/day for a normal 8hr shift.

These people can live comfortably here on R40.00/day (Not luxuriously, but comfortably). So it makes me wonder how much the cost of living is there if they're leaving because it's too high.

First world country FTW I guess.

So since Bush's fence plan along the border flopped he took this more extreme route and its actually working? :lol:

So since Bush's fence plan along the border flopped he took this more extreme route and its actually working? :lol:

I never quite got that whole deal...he employed illegals personally and he puts up a fence? the only thing I can figure is the fence was put up by halliburton

I heard a comedian one time saying we should just forget building a fence and just install a few Walmarts along the border. We'd make money and the immigrants wouldn't make it any further than that.

Eh? $65/day?!?

Let me do a quick breakdown of exchange rates from USD to SAR:

The exchange rate from USD to SAR is 7.5 to 1. (R7.50 to $1.00).

Using that exchange rate we multiply R7.50 x $65.00 = R487.50/day. Which is basically a little bit under what the average South African makes a day (With tertiary education).

Obviously the cost of living from there and here differs greatly but in general our laborers get paid an average of R5.00P/h for unskilled labor which is about R40.00/day for a normal 8hr shift.

These people can live comfortably here on R40.00/day (Not luxuriously, but comfortably). So it makes me wonder how much the cost of living is there if they're leaving because it's too high.

First world country FTW I guess.
Can you buy lunch for five rand? You sure couldn't buy lunch here for R5/7.5 = $0.67

Can you buy lunch for five rand? You sure couldn't buy lunch here for R5/7.5 = $0.67

Not at any commercial place, no - not a decent meal.But if you're willing to settle for a sausage roll or a pie of some sort five rand should cover it.

But when I say "Local labor" I mean people from disadvantaged communities. These people can make five rand stretch a long way, so I suppose that they could get some form of a substantial meal for 5 rand. Whatever it may be :/

Not at any commercial place, no - not a decent meal.But if you're willing to settle for a sausage roll or a pie of some sort five rand should cover it.

But when I say "Local labor" I mean people from disadvantaged communities. These people can make five rand stretch a long way, so I suppose that they could get some form of a substantial meal for 5 rand. Whatever it may be :/

bushmeat
:shady:

Im sure you've mentioned it, but where are you from originally?