Halp I'm trying to find one of these lamps, any of you have a lead on one?

Mr. Argumentor

I fab shitboxes and shitbox accessories.
Sep 27, 2012
Tampa-ish
Marklar
₥73,690
Steam
asastang
Kinda weird thread, but you guys are kinda weird people.

I'm not trying to pay the $100+ that people pay for them. I am a cheapass.

You can usually find them on eBay under "Machinist lamp" or "industrial lamp" or similar. Fostoria is one brand, but I've seen others. I've got alerts setup for eBay so you don't need to worry about that, but if you happen to be in an antique store or notice one on your local craigslist or whatever I'd be happy to pay you to buy it and mail it to me

s-l1600.jpg

Note: They have shorter ones with only one or two articulating bars. I'm not real interested in those.

s-l1600.jpg

You want that type as a style or art sort of thing, correct?

See ones that are similar in function once in a while, but not with that aesthetic, or beefy build. More like made to be mounted to an indoor desk, like a draftsman or map maker would use. Not "industrial" looking.

I just mention Industrial as that's where they get lumped in
These were typically used on machines, lathes or mills. True drafting lamps typically look different.

Mainly I want the single bar articulation.

Mek Elek was another maker (but holy FUCK those are expensive)
1611712149718.png

As was Woodward
1611712171708.png

More for aesthetic and that I know it won't wear out. I have a couple gooseneck lamps and they all blow goats. Looking at these where you can tighten the links makes me confident that I wouldn't be frustrated when I used them. More than that though, it makes me happy to use things from before I was born rather than buy new shit.

Just buy that mill - it had one on it.:rolleyes: But seriously, those are very cool and they never wear out. I like old lamps and fans. New re-makes of those are pure Chineseum. Someplace that sells used industrial machinery might have one laying about.:iono:

So, I found a couple of these at one of my local antique stores. Wiring was crap so I got 'em cheap enough to suit me. Then I started printing shit to modify them and allow me to adjust them without digging for a wrench.
I need to strip these of paint and then redo the wiring, but I'm happy with the mods so far.

t1gP0aj.jpg

7y3XNH4.jpg

5nUOViu.jpg

vIlxnKp.jpg

4yxrUgj.jpg

So, I found a couple of these at one of my local antique stores. Wiring was crap so I got 'em cheap enough to suit me. Then I started printing shit to modify them and allow me to adjust them without digging for a wrench.
I need to strip these of paint and then redo the wiring, but I'm happy with the mods so far.

t1gP0aj.jpg

7y3XNH4.jpg

5nUOViu.jpg

vIlxnKp.jpg

4yxrUgj.jpg
A manly knob!! Cool!

So, ya'll know what that sad pale industrial green color is? The one every desk and chair from the 50s was painted?
I want that for the metal parts, but a "happy" version of it. I think I have the color I want.

My concern is finding a complementary color for the knobs. I'd go with a cream color, but they are going to get dirty with my hands, so I'm not in love with a pale color. Anyone have any ideas?

The green I'm talking about
Mid-century-modern-retro-office-desks-from-1959-Click-Americana-2.jpg

• Gravy
Reactions: Valve1138
So, ya'll know what that sad pale industrial green color is? The one every desk and chair from the 50s was painted?
I want that for the metal parts, but a "happy" version of it. I think I have the color I want.

My concern is finding a complementary color for the knobs. I'd go with a cream color, but they are going to get dirty with my hands, so I'm not in love with a pale color. Anyone have any ideas?

The green I'm talking about
Mid-century-modern-retro-office-desks-from-1959-Click-Americana-2.jpg
Black.