I'm the best man......

BigDov

Erect Member
Oct 14, 2004
close to Seattle
Marklar
₥0
in my friends wedding this weekend. I'm torn on this whole toast and speech thing though- I've been trying to write something appropriately witty, poignant and meaningful, but haven't had much luck with it. Then I've been thinking I might just be better off to have some fun with it and wing it, totally impromptu.

Considering this is my first time playing the role of Best Man, what do you think I should do???

Start talking about your college days, hanging out with the groom. Then begin to mention the time you both were drunk and alone in his dorm room, and you were watching The Bird Cage, and he reached over and began massaging your arm...

I supposedly had a very funny one for JJ and bast's wedding, but I thought I bombed it. Honestly, I can say that I didn't hear a word I said or the crowds reaction, I just kept talking and now I refuse to watch the video cause I hate seeing myself on tape. But I can dig up a copy of it and email it you if you're interested.

smileynev said:
Start talking about your college days, hanging out with the groom. Then begin to mention the time you both were drunk and alone in his dorm room, and you were watching The Bird Cage, and he reached over and began massaging your arm...

But, that never happened.........

:shady:

Here is a toast that always works.
Here's to the wine
Here's to the glass
Here's to the bride
With a big fat ass.

theacoustician said:
I supposedly had a very funny one for JJ and bast's wedding, but I thought I bombed it. Honestly, I can say that I didn't hear a word I said or the crowds reaction, I just kept talking and now I refuse to watch the video cause I hate seeing myself on tape. But I can dig up a copy of it and email it you if you're interested.

Sure :)

theacoustician said:
I would be interrested in seeing the video... I need ideas for our wedding :lol:

speeches.com

If we’re completely honest, Groom, not only are you ready for marriage, it was actually high time you got around to it. Well done. You’ve found the perfect partner, and you’ve done the right thing. So congratulations, and in the words of the old Irish toast, may you know nothing but happiness from this day forward.

And so with the important questions settled, all that’s left to do is offer a toast. Groom and Bride, you’re among friends who want the very best for you both and we wish you all the happiness in the world. So here’s to you, here’s to your future, and here’s to the best thing you ever did! Congratulations, and in the words of the old Irish toast, may you know nothing but happiness from this day forward.

Folks, it’s my job to compliment the beautiful Bride, and say something profound about my good friend Groom. So let me start by saying this: Bride, you do indeed look truly beautiful and Groom is a very lucky man. And that really leads me right on to the profound thought I’d like to talk about. Groom has done very well indeed. But how about Bride? Is she getting a bargain here?

you can go here too nevermind thats a pay for site... :lol:

;)

Good luck

Last edited:
basic formula:

The best man's speech is the last of the three speeches traditional at a wedding.

He usually begins by recounting how he first met the groom.

Then there are thanks to the groom for his toast, on behalf of the bridesmaids, ushers, and other helpers.

It is the 'best man' who talks about the groom's life, experiences, and qualities.

Some jokes & anecdotes about the groom are usually welcome, and also perhaps some about the bride and groom, such as how they met.

The best man leads a toast to the parents.

Traditionally the finale is the reading of telegrams, cards and emails from people unable to attend. If there are many, it is pefectly appropriate to read just a selection.

[The best man's speech is traditionally the last. If the bridegroom and the bride's father before you are brilliant, you may find yourself full of nerves about how to follow them. And if they were not so brilliant - your audience may be restless and heading for the bar.]

try to keep it short and sweet, people at receptions have short attention spans and won't want to hold their champagne for that long without drinking it :fly: