I'm Sorry*

Jonny_B

Erect Member
Oct 14, 2004
Marklar
₥76
http://thechronicleherald.ca/Front/9013235.html

Effective Oct. 1, the Apology Act will make it so that Nova Scotians can offer an apology without accepting liability.

The act, which was passed in the fall of 2008, broadly defines apology and states saying you're sorry can't be used against you in legal proceedings to establish fault or liability, according to a Justice Department news release. That may still be proven through other evidence.

This is surprisingly important in a culture where people apologize for getting in the way of your speeding car and whatnot.

so this basically makes someone saying sorry as inadmissible as evidence in a court room?
yup. so that you can apologize without it being used against you as an admission of fault. It's basically so you can be polite and not suffer for it (rather than where you currently have to be a dick, even if it is your fault, just so they don't have extra evidence against you)

I apologize for things that aren't my fault all the time. Does this mean in other jurisdictions it's admissible in court? "I'm sorry to hear your dad died" "I'm sorry you had a shitty day" "I'm sorry a meteor crashed into your house" Doesn't mean I'm admitting guilt. I don't think it should be possible to say something like "I'm sorry I killed your 2 mo. old daughter." and not have that be admissible in court though.

I apologize for things that aren't my fault all the time. Does this mean in other jurisdictions it's admissible in court? "I'm sorry to hear your dad died" "I'm sorry you had a shitty day" "I'm sorry a meteor crashed into your house" Doesn't mean I'm admitting guilt. I don't think it should be possible to say something like "I'm sorry I killed your 2 mo. old daughter." and not have that be admissible in court though.

No, of course not, but if you were involved in an accident that ended up in said little girl perishing and you said "I'm sorry your daughter died." that probably shouldn't be held against you.

I think it's along the lines of Nurse: "I'm sorry your father passed away." or Surgeon: "I'm sorry you're disappointed with the outcome of your nosejob."

A way to be empathetic without it meaning you actually think you did something wrong.

No, of course not, but if you were involved in an accident that ended up in said little girl perishing and you said "I'm sorry your daughter died." that probably shouldn't be held against you.
exactly. if the accident isn't your fault you shouldn't have to turn into a "it's your fault your daughter died" kind of monster to protect yourself.

It's a confession in the presence of the victim, most places anyway. Admission of guilt etc.

<jamz> So I sent out an email saying that due to a death in the family I was going to be out for the next two days.
<jamz> one person emailed me back: Please accept my sincere apologies.
<jamz> I emailed her back: What, did you kill her?