IM Proxy help...

fly

omg
Oct 1, 2004
Marklar
₥83,379
Steam
mattressfish
So our NY office appears to have finally blocked the IM proxy I had installed here. :( I was using HTTPort. Anyone know of some other good proxy software?

What client are you using? AIM can be directed through any port you want. Port 21 is a good choice since lots of folks keep ftp open.

We have some proxy that doesnt allow AIM to connect to the AIM login servers, unless the traffic goes through our proxy. So I was using some software called HTTPort that wrapped up the packets into HTTP traffic and rerouted the AIM info through my PC at home.

We have some proxy that doesnt allow AIM to connect to the AIM login servers, unless the traffic goes through our proxy. So I was using some software called HTTPort that wrapped up the packets into HTTP traffic and rerouted the AIM info through my PC at home.

hmm...

Have you tried pointing the aim client at to login server by ip address instead of hostname? Your filter might only pay attention to the latter.

hmm...

Have you tried pointing the aim client at to login server by ip address instead of hostname? Your filter might only pay attention to the latter.
Nah, they got all the AIM login IPs.
I was able to use it over an ssh tunnel to a friend's Sun box using putty, I would point the AIM client to the Sun box over port 8080 and it avoided the company's internal AIM proxy

I lost all my configs since I rebuilt my pc though, and I've been too lazy to set it back up again so I'm probably missing some detail

Hmmm, what was running on port 8080 on the Sun box tho? That's probably the app that I need.