I'm posting this from Chrome

Everything is getting built on it. Gotta Garmin? Its running Linux. Is your cable box an Amino, SA, or Motorola? Its running Linux. PS3? Linux. Sony camcorder? Linux. More devices and appliances are using it to build upon.

Most of the cheap, sub-mini notebooks (like the Asus eee) are all turning to Linux. Dell, Lenovo, and Acer sell regular desktops and laptops with it preloaded. Not understanding it is going to leave you at a disadvantage if you care about knowing how stuff works or hacking it to bend it to your will.

Then again if you're content to just be a user of technology rather than someone who understands it, so be it.

I have none of those devices.

lols, a user. You don't have to know loonix to "understand technology".

Windows and Apple both arent known for their embedded technology.

Desktop money is in user applications, typsetting, graphic design (I dare you to try to find documentation for Inkscape, you click on help and you get the API help), CAD/CAM (Autodesk is God and they dont even port to Apple), office suites (Office, or lotus notes if your company is ass backward), and video games.

Linux does... Database back ends, web servers (not content development though), embedded devices, pretty much everything that is a "service."

Pen and paper always win with human interfaces, there is no process except converting thoughts to words to hand motions over paper. Using linux is like cutting down the tree and making paper, then killing the turkey for the quill, making the ink, and dipping the pen in the ink every word.
This is sorta random and disjointed, so I'm not sure what you're trying to say here. The only comment I can make is on your views on Linux. I would say its akin to someone saying "Apple sucks", but basing it around their impressions of OS 9. Don't get me wrong, I still think OSX is a waste of time and money, but I still force myself to keep trying it again on every release to make sure my opinion is still valid. I do the same for Vista and most major Linux distros, although I think I've called it a day with MS until Windows 7. I invite you to go out and try Ubuntu 8.04.1 or openSUSE to see what desktop Linux can be. If you don't like the fact that closed source apps aren't installed by default, you might want to look at the Ubuntu derivatives of Mint Linux or gOS.
aye, autocad is why i could never switch to linux full time.
How funny to think for the longest time AutoCAD and UNIX went hand in hand. I still remember having to wrap my brain around using a UltraSPARC III in order to use R13.

I'm posting this from Chrome...

... on my Mac...

in Parallels...

I tried and failed at compiling it under OSX. I spent an hour of bitching and tinkering before I realized I needed XCode 3.1 Since I don't have leopard, I can't run XCode 3.1.. Yeah, uhhh.. It says so at the beginning of the how-to..

doh! :tard:

RTFM etc... but good try old boy! Nice to see someone taking a whack at it.

Now, if someone who has Leopard compiled it could you run it? Or would XCode still need to be installed?

I compile my peenor on chrome.

but seriously. the user agreement for using chrome is pretty wack.

The latest angle to be explored is Chrome's end-user license agreement. It does not look consumer-friendly.
"By submitting, posting or displaying the content you give Google a perpetual, irrevocable, worldwide, royalty-free, and non-exclusive license to reproduce, adapt, modify, translate, publish, publicly perform, publicly display and distribute any content which you submit, post or display on or through, the services. This license is for the sole purpose of enabling Google to display, distribute and promote the services and may be revoked for certain services as defined in the additional terms of those services."

This is sorta random and disjointed, so I'm not sure what you're trying to say here. The only comment I can make is on your views on Linux. I would say its akin to someone saying "Apple sucks", but basing it around their impressions of OS 9. Don't get me wrong, I still think OSX is a waste of time and money, but I still force myself to keep trying it again on every release to make sure my opinion is still valid. I do the same for Vista and most major Linux distros, although I think I've called it a day with MS until Windows 7. I invite you to go out and try Ubuntu 8.04.1 or openSUSE to see what desktop Linux can be. If you don't like the fact that closed source apps aren't installed by default, you might want to look at the Ubuntu derivatives of Mint Linux or gOS.
How funny to think for the longest time AutoCAD and UNIX went hand in hand. I still remember having to wrap my brain around using a UltraSPARC III in order to use R13.
The devices you named, are embedded, except the laptops. So that's the first sentence.

Then I was driving at the fact I was talking about desktop/workstation type stuff, which is dominated almost entirely by two platforms. I went on to point out that the Linux has already found it's niche.

Then I was making a point about applications designed with the user in mind, compared to GNU/Linux and that crowd; where the technology comes at the expense of anything resembling user friendliness.

[Autocad btw was never was exclusively on any other platform except the PC, it was billed as _the_ personal CAD software vs mainframe stuff. R13 in particular definitely ran on windows, because my dad had a 386 laptop, Windows 3.11 and R13 was the only app on it.]

Then I was making a point about applications designed with the user in mind, compared to GNU/Linux and that crowd; where the technology comes at the expense of anything resembling user friendliness.
Eh, that might have been true many moons ago, but I really think you should try again. The times, they are a changin'. Its not OSX usability yet, but I think you'd be surprised how far its come. Its conceivable to use most 1st tier distros and never have to open the terminal window under typical user scenarios.

[Autocad btw was never was exclusively on any other platform except the PC, it was billed as _the_ personal CAD software vs mainframe stuff. R13 in particular definitely ran on windows, because my dad had a 386 laptop, Windows 3.11 and R13 was the only app on it.]
True, but back in the day most serious CAD business was done on a dedicated CAD workstation you bought from a turnkey provider. Unix was almost always used for the more powerful systems. Why? I have no idea. R12 or R13 is where that model really started to die off, although you could buy it as a stand alone app long before then. Hell, AutoCAD was even available for Macs way back in the day.

Eh, that might have been true many moons ago, but I really think you should try again. The times, they are a changin'. Its not OSX usability yet, but I think you'd be surprised how far its come. Its conceivable to use most 1st tier distros and never have to open the terminal window under typical user scenarios.
I dont doubt it. I just wouldnt personally try to make a business off it. ^.^

True, but back in the day most serious CAD business was done on a dedicated CAD workstation you bought from a turnkey provider. Unix was almost always used for the more powerful systems. Why? I have no idea. R12 or R13 is where that model really started to die off, although you could buy it as a stand alone app long before then. Hell, AutoCAD was even available for Macs way back in the day.
Yeah, I remember when the DEC with a ONE HUNDRED mhz processor was the awesome $15k computer that I couldnt play on :(

I'm only bumping this because if you have Chrome, you have to type about:internets into the the address bar. I LOL'ed long and hard over that one.

Full list of about pages found so far
about:memory
about:stats
about:network
about:internets
about:histograms
about:dns
about:cache
about:plugins
about:version