I'm obsessed with curling...the sport not my hair

BadMojo

Half-staff Member
Feb 20, 2006
Marklar
₥0
I've always wanted to try curling. But being from south Texas, there just aren't a lot of places to play this sport.

While we were in Tampa, I found myself finally watching the olympics. Curling was on Sunday morning. (Drool was in bed with a hangover.) I found myself mesmerized by this sport. This morning, I found the Curling Club of Houston. Unbelieveably, they actually play just up the road from us on Sunday mornings. I would like to give it a try!

Does anyone have any hints about playing? Does anyone else play? Does anyone else find this sport fascinating or am I just weird?

The closest thing I've played to curling is this kind of shufflepuck game at a bar. As far as I know the scoring was the same, it just took place on a waxed table surface with two-pound metal discs instead of on ice with who-knows how heavy stones.

itburnswhenipee said:
The closest thing I've played to curling is this kind of shufflepuck game at a bar. As far as I know the scoring was the same, it just took place on a waxed table surface with two-pound metal discs instead of on ice with who-knows how heavy stones.

I always call that sand shuffleboard. I like playing that at the bars too.

itburnswhenipee said:

I like that one better cuz you can drink beer while playing it.

itburnswhenipee said:
this sounds dangerouns..
Drunk people with 2lb metal disks flying around a bar..

does this seem like a bad idea to anyone else!?

I've heard curling described as the only sport you can play drunk just as well and you could sober.

Other than that, I don't know much about it.

Drool-Boy said:
I like that one better cuz you can drink beer while playing it.

Yeah, that's pretty much my argument. There's a computer version of this game on those touchscreen multi-game machines most bars have nowadays. In that game the pucks look like little danishes.

itburnswhenipee said:
Yeah, that's pretty much my argument. There's a computer version of this game on those touchscreen multi-game machines most bars have nowadays. In that game the pucks look like little danishes.

I dislike the computer version tho.
Theres something about the smell of sawdust, the sound of the pucks clicking together, and the ability bounce one off of someones head if theyre a sore winner that I find much more appealing.

Drool-Boy said:
Theres something about the smell of sawdust, the sound of the pucks clicking together, and the ability bounce one off of someones head if theyre a sore winner that I find much more appealing.
see.. you made my point for me..

Drool-Boy said:

Sadly the computer version is the only version available at most places I've been. I think a lot of bars look at the investment in floorspace and make the cheaper decision.

Coin-op pool tables seem to be the most common choice, but I've never been much of a pool player. Working someone else's long, hard pole with my hands always struck me as being a little gay... especially since in pool the balls frequently touch.

itburnswhenipee said:
Coin-op pool tables seem to be the most common choice, but I've never been much of a pool player.

The only bar that I know of in this area that has the actual long board game, just happens to be a pool hall.

BadMojo said:
The only bar that I know of in this area that has the actual long board game, just happens to be a pool hall.

Most pool halls I've been to have a pay by the hour arrangement, which is probably the pay model that'd work with that shuffleboard game. Small wonder they're found there, I guess.