GAY I'm moving from a 1350 sqft condo to a 600 sqft backhouse

That’s exciting :)

What led to the decision to downsize?
It basically started with three boxes in the garage that I hadn't opened since we moved into the place a year ago. I looked at them and though "Why do I have these boxes? The fuck is even in them?" This lead to me opening them and keeping only two items out of those three boxes. The rest went into the trash or a pile I was going to donate. A few days later I looked at my closet and saw a bunch of clothes I have never worn, or that don't even fit me anymore. "Why do I have these clothes?" I then decided to re-evaluate everything I own and decide if I use it or if I should lose it. Turns out, I don't even use most of the things I have. So it all went into the same donation pile that has now turned into a garage sale pile. My wife saw me going through it and saw how easy it was for me to get dressed int he morning and decided that she wanted to do the same thing. Over the course of about a month, we've gotten to the point where a minimalist lifestyle is right for us.We've packed up about 2/3rds of out kitchen to sell, 80% of my clothes are gone, 40% of her clothes are gone (I'm hoping she'll see she still has too many clothes, but that's up to her), all of the tools in the garage I'll literally never use are packed up... we're pretty much getting rid of about 90% of the things we own. Instead of spending money on the things we want, we'll spend it on the things we need and use the rest for great things, like our upcoming two week vacation to Ireland and two trips to Boise this spring and our Thanksgiving trip to Virginia. All of that will be done without using a credit card. We're saving, investing and all that shit so that when our child grows up, they'll have the means to decide what they want to do without having to start their adult life going into debt like we did.

Phew that was a long winded reply.

Other than Idaho, good plan.
What the hell is in Idaho?
Potatoes and Klan members.

lol

I'm not joking either.

But boise is starting to boom. Moving from SoCal, the greenery and seasons and amazing outdoor adventures are just the tip of the iceberg. Also, you've seen me. I'm a walking racial slur. I'm the whitest of white. I don't belong in the desert sun. Not even in Winter.

Moving from SoCal, the greenery and seasons and amazing outdoor adventures are just the tip of the iceberg. Also, you've seen me. I'm a walking racial slur. I'm the whitest of white. I don't belong in the desert sun. Not even in Winter.

Fair points, but you could go to Minnesota or Michigan or something if that was it.

At least now I can say "Oh, Idaho, I know someone that moved there." Then I'll be king of the water cooler as everyone else will just know potatoes, Klan members, and tech in Boise

Fair points, but you could go to Minnesota or Michigan or something if that was it.

At least now I can say "Oh, Idaho, I know someone that moved there." Then I'll be king of the water cooler as everyone else will just know potatoes, Klan members, and tech in Boise
Lol That's a tad bit TOO cold. Idaho is still PNW though it's not nearly as wet and perpetually cloudy as Portland or Seattle.

It basically started with three boxes in the garage that I hadn't opened since we moved into the place a year ago. I looked at them and though "Why do I have these boxes? The fuck is even in them?" This lead to me opening them and keeping only two items out of those three boxes. The rest went into the trash or a pile I was going to donate. A few days later I looked at my closet and saw a bunch of clothes I have never worn, or that don't even fit me anymore. "Why do I have these clothes?" I then decided to re-evaluate everything I own and decide if I use it or if I should lose it. Turns out, I don't even use most of the things I have. So it all went into the same donation pile that has now turned into a garage sale pile. My wife saw me going through it and saw how easy it was for me to get dressed int he morning and decided that she wanted to do the same thing. Over the course of about a month, we've gotten to the point where a minimalist lifestyle is right for us.We've packed up about 2/3rds of out kitchen to sell, 80% of my clothes are gone, 40% of her clothes are gone (I'm hoping she'll see she still has too many clothes, but that's up to her), all of the tools in the garage I'll literally never use are packed up... we're pretty much getting rid of about 90% of the things we own. Instead of spending money on the things we want, we'll spend it on the things we need and use the rest for great things, like our upcoming two week vacation to Ireland and two trips to Boise this spring and our Thanksgiving trip to Virginia. All of that will be done without using a credit card. We're saving, investing and all that shit so that when our child grows up, they'll have the means to decide what they want to do without having to start their adult life going into debt like we did.

Phew that was a long winded reply.
That’s awesome! Are you hoping to FIRE?

• Gravy
Reactions: fly
That’s awesome! Are you hoping to FIRE?
I'm guessing that's an acronym for Retire early... probably not. One of my goals is to get out of this shit job that I have now and get into something a little more my speed. Which might mean a pay cut. That being said though, the wife has said she wouldn't mind it if I did take a pay cut, because later on I'll be able to take care of the kid before and after work etc while she works her 11 hour days.

• Gravy
Reactions: nukes