I'm gonna get my nerd on

Currently (as in I just got all the parts in last week and started assembly yesterday) building a HTPC. Specs:

Ahanix D5 case
A64 3200 (939)
MSI K8N Neo
9800 Pro (with AC VGA silencer HSF)
Chaintech sound card
Hauppauge PVR250
Seagate SATA 80GB(OS and programs) and 200GB (media)
NEC DVD dual layer burner
other stuff

My goal is enough power for ffdshow post processing and maybe mess with some HDTV capture (provided I get a capture card for it). It's overkill, but...meh...

Only problem I'm having now is that the lower HD slot puts the HD's SATA power supply in conflict with the motherboard's power supply so now I'm gonna have to probably fabricate a new cage for it. :(

Viremia said:
Currently (as in I just got all the parts in last week and started assembly yesterday) building a HTPC. Specs:

Ahanix D5 case
A64 3200 (939)
MSI K8N Neo
9800 Pro (with AC VGA silencer HSF)
Chaintech sound card
Hauppauge PVR250
Seagate SATA 80GB(OS and programs) and 200GB (media)
NEC DVD dual layer burner
other stuff

My goal is enough power for ffdshow post processing and maybe mess with some HDTV capture (provided I get a capture card for it). It's overkill, but...meh...

Only problem I'm having now is that the lower HD slot puts the HD's SATA power supply in conflict with the motherboard's power supply so now I'm gonna have to probably fabricate a new cage for it. :(
Its not overkill if you're processing dscaler and ffdshow on live broadcast. How much RAM?

theacoustician said:
Its not overkill if you're processing dscaler and ffdshow on live broadcast. How much RAM?
512MB right now, but that's just a couple extra sticks I had lying around

I may bump it to 1GB if the need exists

And from what I was told, 512 should be okay, but we'll have to wait and see. I do want to process live broadcasts so that's why I went with a beefier system

Viremia said:
512MB right now, but that's just a couple extra sticks I had lying around

I may bump it to 1GB if the need exists

And from what I was told, 512 should be okay, but we'll have to wait and see. I do want to process live broadcasts so that's why I went with a beefier system
Eh, I'd put in the gig and move the page file to a ram drive partician with the extra memory. Should help speed up the system some while running all those apps at once.

Whoa...wrong thread.

/edit
Damn you for having 2 computer threads right next to eachother and confusing me. :p

bast_imret said:
Did I hear you say AMD?

um, BRB. Lucifer wants to borrow my jacket. :fly:
I didn't say nVidea yet, so its still all good.

Actually, if they just made an SLI card that didn't cost a fortune...

if i was doing a new pc for myself right now, i'd make it sff and watercooled, would fab up a box for radiator and pump and fans that went alongside the main box. petite and dead silent, and setting me in good stead for the increasingly crazy heat output from upcoming procs

theacoustician said:
I didn't say nVidea yet, so its still all good.

Actually, if they just made an SLI card that didn't cost a fortune...

Get Turner to pay for it :D

Yea, watercooled would be fun. Like that Zalman unit we were looking at. My PC is still doing ok for now, so I'm still going to try and hold out for as long as possible into next year before I upgrade. But I know the bug is going to start biting sometime soon.

bungle said:
if i was doing a new pc for myself right now, i'd make it sff and watercooled, would fab up a box for radiator and pump and fans that went alongside the main box. petite and dead silent, and setting me in good stead for the increasingly crazy heat output from upcoming procs
Isnt SFF and watercooling sort of contradictory?

okay, money being no object, here's my specs:
athlon64 on a gigabyte mobo
2gb crucial ddr ram
radeon all in wonder 9800 with at least 256mb onboard ram
Creative Labs Sound Blaster Audigy2 Platinum Pro
300gb of western digital storage goodness
the usual usb ports up the wazoo, wireless dlink ethernet card, and a liteon dvdrw burner

and it would be in a sweet-as-hell case, preferably one with a side window on which i could etch (or have etched for me) my phoenix tattoo [hokey, but i love it that much] with red backlighting

bungle said:
no they can coexist. there are people who have done it so that their radiator occupies almost all of one side, and as i mentione, some people make a small complementary box to hold radiator and pump

observe author icon's post here
http://forums.sudhian.com/messageview.aspx?catid=46&threadid=67255&enterthread=y

http://www.overclockers.com.au/article.php?id=299401&P=1
That second link isn't really a ringing endorsement. It looks like heat death waiting to happen. I see your point about making an external box for some of the watercooling, but doesn't that then lose the point of a SFF? If you need two boxes to run the thing, why not just get a mid sized case?

I'm not saying it isn't a noble goal, but it seems to be iffy at best. Maybe something with more heatpipes to make it quieter or phase cooling to overclock?

theacoustician said:
That second link isn't really a ringing endorsement. It looks like heat death waiting to happen. I see your point about making an external box for some of the watercooling, but doesn't that then lose the point of a SFF? If you need two boxes to run the thing, why not just get a mid sized case?

I'm not saying it isn't a noble goal, but it seems to be iffy at best. Maybe something with more heatpipes to make it quieter or phase cooling to overclock?
an external box does slightly spoil the nature of sff, but if you make it just the size of say, a big hardback book then you've still got a setup that is a fraction the size of a midtower

given the money and time, as a hobby i'd like to do a phase cooling or fluorinert setup. stuff like prometeia is overpriced for what it is

advanced cooling for sff will evolve, shuttle giving us a half decent heat pipe format is the first step of that. i consider whats going on right now to be it's first stuttering steps on the way to being very practical. after all, it's only heat throughput that matters, not spare case volume