I'm gonna get my nerd on

theacoustician

Flaccid Member
Sep 30, 2004
Marklar
₥0
And talk about building a new PC. If you were going to build a new PC from ground up between now and the next three months, what would you build? I'm not going to set a total budget, but if its something that you wouldn't/couldn't afford, than don't bother.

socket 939 amd64
will be able to take dual core chips on same mobo when they come out in the next ~6-10 months

theacoustician said:
And talk about building a new PC. If you were going to build a new PC from ground up between now and the next three months, what would you build? I'm not going to set a total budget, but if its something that you wouldn't/couldn't afford, than don't bother.

Interesting question.

I think I'd go with a sff box just because I haven't built one of those yet, and I want one in the stereo rack really bad. Big hard drive, gig or so of ram, decent video card, tv-capture card, dvd burner. Not sure about platform though..... not sure if that even matters to me any more.

why_ask_why said:
socket 939 amd64
will be able to take dual core chips on same mobo when they come out in the next ~6-10 months
Yeah, for once in my life, I'm heavily leaning towards AMD for my next processor. Intel just doesn't have it together yet. Maybe a year from now, they'll turn it around, but till then...

The only reason I'm not more jazzed about AMD at this second is the on die memory controller and no DDR2 or PCIe

I'm still not hawt on the 64-bit chip scene. A nice P4 with the big on-die cache would be cool. Get a mobo with a PCI-Xpress just in case it turns out to be more than a fad. And get lots and lots of case stickers with pithy messages like "Fsck it or die" and "I read your blog". Then get emo glasses and a Half-Life 2 t-shirt, bitch about MicroSuck and multi-boot obscure versions of Linux. Extra points if you can claim to have used Opera before it got "popular". Be sure to use the hand quotation marks when you say "popular".

DirkPhoenix said:
I'm still not hawt on the 64-bit chip scene. A nice P4 with the big on-die cache would be cool. Get a mobo with a PCI-Xpress just in case it turns out to be more than a fad. And get lots and lots of case stickers with pithy messages like "Fsck it or die" and "I read your blog". Then get emo glasses and a Half-Life 2 t-shirt, bitch about MicroSuck and multi-boot obscure versions of Linux. Extra points if you can claim to have used Opera before it got "popular". Be sure to use the hand quotation marks when you say "popular".
I still get wood when I think about BeOS and regularly curse Palm for destroying it. Is that close?

BigDov said:
Interesting question.

I think I'd go with a sff box just because I haven't built one of those yet, and I want one in the stereo rack really bad. Big hard drive, gig or so of ram, decent video card, tv-capture card, dvd burner. Not sure about platform though..... not sure if that even matters to me any more.
I've been pondering something like http://solution.aopen.com.tw/products/XC/EA65/en/ for an HTPC.

Dunno, I'm not planning on buidling another one anytime real soon. I'd love to, but unfortunately finances are prohibitive, so I'll just upgrade what I have as I go.

Whenever I do it again I definitely plan to go with AMD, I've been happy with the one I have :cool:

BigDov said:
Oh man, that's hot. Wow.

This is one that caught my eye a while back: http://www.iwill.net/product_2.asp?p_id=36
Sexy little box. It almost looks like a Gamecube with the ports on the front. See the no-boot option for using the tuner and DVD on the Aopen? I wish they would export that to more of their motherboards. That way I could get a decent graphics card in there, a soundcard, and HDTV decoder, along with a power supply large enough to run it all in there.

theacoustician said:
Sexy little box. It almost looks like a Gamecube with the ports on the front. See the no-boot option for using the tuner and DVD on the Aopen? I wish they would export that to more of their motherboards. That way I could get a decent graphics card in there, a soundcard, and HDTV decoder, along with a power supply large enough to run it all in there.

It's pretty neat.

I did see those features on the Aopen..... I've always kind of stayed away from their motherboards, but I'd drop the coin on that box in a heartbeat. I'm going to visit that link a bit more- you've got me thinking bad thoughts :lol: