Food I'm going to try eating more veggies, but how do prepare?

I don't really know how to describe it. Whatever the texture of raw onion is. That just grosses me out. Maybe it's the combo of the texture and the flavor? IDK. I LOVE apples though. That texture doesn't bother me.
I am a master of cooking without onions because I can't eat them and they are in freaking everything. Maybe try to ease your palatte into them by using minced dried onion or cooked leeks or something. It might help.

How do you season your guac? How do you get it to the right taste?
You mix it, then try it and add what you think it needs, right?

Just do that with your veggies.
You can even cook the veggies and separate them into different containers and add different things to find what mixes well.

There are also certain herbs and spices that go with various styles.
Italian: rosemary, basil, oregano, garlic
TexMex/"Mexican": cumin, coriander, Mexican oregano, maybe sage depending on the dish

Find three or four spices that mesh with your next meal and just start seasoning stuff.
This is probably the most helpful. The whole herbs and spices thing is foreign to me. :h5:

Try to add some cumin to your next batch of guac. It takes a good amount before I think "well, I fucked up" so just go to it and see how it works. Add, stir, taste, repeat.

Also, fresher is better. I do enough Italian that I have two rosemary bushes, and an oregano plant outside. But something in a jar is fine, just know that the older it is the less flavor it has.

Edit: please note, it takes a lot of cumin for me to say "too much" may be different for you. That goes for anything anyone in here says when talking about seasoning

I am a master of cooking without onions because I can't eat them and they are in freaking everything. Maybe try to ease your palatte into them by using minced dried onion or cooked leeks or something. It might help.
Onion powder isn't bad to start with. I can eat a little onion powder but not real onions - though the more cooked they are then I can actually have them with the item, just not eating them.

For me leeks, onions, scallions etc are all bad - sad because I love the taste but I get bad reactions if I have them raw touching my food or cooked and I eat them.

My grocery list is building itself today...

Gonna try the cinnamon butternut squash cubes and maybe the zuc tonight. Also going to pick up a few herbs and spices.

Thanks for the help guys. I'll be checking the thread out when I get home. :)

psst, some smaller grocery stories sell 'italian seasoning' it's great because you just grab some and go without having to worry if you have what it takes to make it. Italian seasoning goes great on a lot of things too. (on pork roasts or chicken is glorious)

I made a calzone filling out of this.
14121216720141211185010.jpg

Pomi is fucking awesome. Strained most of the fluid off of the chopped tomatoes after adding the oregano, rosemary, garlic, and salt and pepper, that way the calzone didn't get waterlogged.

there a great book out (and funny) to help you get your veg on called "Thug Kitchen". Based on a blog, lots of fucking swearing is involved.

• Gravy
Reactions: APRIL
Actually, I recently saw a cinnamon butternut recipe very similar to your cauliflower one that sounded really good. I think that's the one I'm going to start with.

As far as the calories go, I'm not too worried about that. I really don't eat a whole lot, so even when I eat like shit I still eat less than 2000 calories a day. My breakfast and lunch are healthy sustenance meals, it's just that my dinners are shitty. So I'm hoping to substitute that shitty part of the dinners with veggies.

That mashed cauliflower recipe looks amazing. I'll have to remember that one.

Butternut squash is also good if you just cut it in half, scoop out the stringy bits, fill that with a pat of butter and brown sugar, and toss it in the oven wrapped in tin foil until cooked.

This is probably the most helpful. The whole herbs and spices thing is foreign to me. :h5:
hey, you ever cook bacon.... cook that shit on a broiler pan, pourthe fat drippings through a sieve and freeze that shit

pull out some brussel sprouts, get a spoonful of that frozen bacon grease, warm it up on a pan on the stovetop, and add in the brussel sprouts.....add butter and salt....serve. you can thank me later.

clearly you've never cooked them in some bacon grease with butter and salt

I have and I've had them prepared in all kinds of ways that people insisted would change my opinion. They still taste like dirty gym socks. Even the almighty power of bacon is not strong enough to overcome that. You can wrap shit in bacon, but you are still eating shit.