Food I'm going to try eating more veggies, but how do prepare?

thintoast

Mayosapien
Dec 4, 2012
up your butt and around the corner
Marklar
₥10,725
I am not good with vegetables. I hardly ever eat them. I get my "veggies" from supplements and V8 drinks. But I want to start actually eating them to really get the most out of them. However, I don't like any veggies raw. YUCKY!!! And I don't know the first thing about cooking veggies. So, ITT, I ask for your help. What's your favorite veggie (or veggie combo) and how do you prepare it?

Hmm... what kind of veggies do you like when out at a restaurant and they accidentally show up on your plate?

Personally, roasted veggies are yummy to me and super easy to do. Or make a stir fry with them and cover them in your favorite sauce. :lol:

90% of the veggies I eat start in a frozen package in my freezer. They're all picked fresh & frozen within hours so nutritionally, they're like fresh.

I put a serving or two in a bowl and nuke it for 3-3.5 minutes. A little butter and salt is usually all that's needed, but sometimes I pop some herb, or garlic powder on it. Eat it right out of the bowl. If you're making dinner for someone, frozen 'french' green beans is an easy way to get style points. My daughter also thinks it's a totally cool side. They're just cut differently.

Carrots: I've started doing in the pressure cooker. It only takes about 5 minutes to get them evenly softened up.

I'm also huge on veggies as 'toppings.' Like a shit ton of sauteed mushrooms (& onions) on a chicken breast or steak. Or, sauteed Green/Red/Yellow peppers and Onions on any sausage or with a steak.

and this:

roasted veggies are yummy to me and super easy to do.

And since you're in Cali, get one of these and do them on the grill. Coat them in olive oil, cook, then S&P, and you're good to go.

Grilled+Veggies+3+logo.jpg
81cBcrVWlqL._SL1500_.jpg

• Gravy
Reactions: Valve1138
Hmm... what kind of veggies do you like when out at a restaurant and they accidentally show up on your plate?

Personally, roasted veggies are yummy to me and super easy to do. Or make a stir fry with them and cover them in your favorite sauce. :lol:
I can do broccoli and cauliflower.

Carrots I eat a lot of, but those taste TOTALLY different from greens. I've recently had some sautéed zucchini and butternut squash which was fantastic, but I don't know how it was prepared. seemed like it was sautéed in some kind of olive oil. Does that sound right?

FYI, you're fighting a losing battle here trying to direct me to cooking veggies. I don't cook more than like chicken or hamburgers. Baked honey mustard chicken was insanely easy and that's the level of cooking expertise that I have.

Slice Zucs about as thick as a pencil, then quarter, then slice onions like you would for a burger. A little more Zuc than onion, but not less than 50/50. Put in a sauce pan with about 1oz of water on low and cover. Toss a couple times over 15-25 mins, and once they're wilted, S&P, toss, then cover them in Parm.

Some people add a little tomato at the very end. I don't find it necessary.

Super easy. My daughter was begging to 'make' something on the stove that needed a knife to cut. She was doing this at like 7yrs old.

Steam or grill them. Season them the way you want. Add rice, probably will make it a bit more enjoyable.. unless you don't like rice.

Or sauté in a sauce, like Teriyaki.

Depending on the meat and the taste I'm going for, I will put the veggies in a dish with a little water and seasonings and bake them.

Steam or grill them. Season them the way you want. Add rice, probably will make it a bit more enjoyable.. unless you don't like rice.

Or sauté in a sauce, like Teriyaki.
See, you're talking to a complete newb. When you say season them the way you want... I don't even know what I want. I literally don't cook. I have VERY few spices that I put on chicken or red meat, and that's it. So that's where you'll have to give me some ideas. I really don't know what seasonings taste like what.

Slice Zucs about as thick as a pencil, then quarter, then slice onions like you would for a burger. A little more Zuc than onion, but not less than 50/50. Put in a sauce pan with about 1oz of water on low and cover. Toss a couple times over 15-25 mins, and once they're wilted, S&P, toss, then cover them in Parm.

Some people add a little tomato at the very end. I don't find it necessary.

Super easy. My daughter was begging to 'make' something on the stove that needed a knife to cut. She was doing this at like 7yrs old.
Another Newb question... S&P? I don't even...

Salt & Pepper?

But that does sound good. I'll have to try that.

See, you're talking to a complete newb. When you say season them the way you want... I don't even know what I want. I literally don't cook. I have VERY few spices that I put on chicken or red meat, and that's it. So that's where you'll have to give me some ideas. I really don't know what seasonings taste like what.
Your basic salt & pepper. Garlic powder (or garlic salt.) Paprika is good, depending on what it is - I personally like to mix paprika and garlic powder together. Onion powder. Lemon pepper. Oregano. Curry. Basil. Ginger.

I almost always use garlic powder for anything I cook.

Good salt and fresh-ground pepper are good places to start (fresh ground is different than pre-ground)
Depends on what you're cooking and how as well, arugula has a sort of peppery-spicy taste to it so you don't want to use a lot of pepper in a salad made with it.

Your basic salt & pepper. Garlic powder (or garlic salt.) Paprika is good, depending on what it is - I personally like to mix paprika and garlic powder together. Onion powder. Lemon pepper. Oregano. Curry. Basil. Ginger.

I almost always use garlic powder for anything I cook.
I try to use fresh garlic wherever I can. There are very few applications where I use garlic powder.

If you like asparagus, try coating them with sea salt, pepper, and garlic powder and grill them in foil. So. Fucking. Good.

• Gravy
Reactions: kiwi
You can also add vegetables to soups! Like I get cream of chicken and add stuff to it.

I chop up cauliflower into smallish pieces and spread it out on a cookie sheet, drizzle a little olive oil on it and sprinkle some salt on it and throw it in a 450 degree oven until it gets a bit brown. It's so yummy.

This recipe for mashed cauliflower is really good too. http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/mock-garlic-mashed-potatoes-recipe.html

Stir fry is great. Familiarize yourself with sauces like hoisin sauce and other stir fry sauces that make things really delicious without adding a lot of calories.

We've been doing lots of squash recipes recently. I can suggest some if you like. If you just want to saute it, olive oil is fine, but if you want to do something really yummy, consider cooking some bacon, cutting it into small pieces and then adding diced squash like butternut and cooking that until tender. It's not the most healthy thing, but you are still getting the nutrition of the squash. If you are into it, throw in some raw spinach toward the end of cooking and let it wilt a bit. It's quite lovely.

You're in Cali, right?
Do they have okra out there? I love okra tossed in olive oil and lightly grilled with some salt and pepper on it.

Young okra cut and dipped in soy sauce is good as well