I'm firing a Client - Would You?

lemon_fresh

Half-staff Member
Oct 14, 2004
Marklar
₥5
By now you guys are familiar w/ this particular client, they are my parking guys. You know the ones who wanted the monitoring software installed and later made me chase the cabling company down for the glass top. This will be my last story about them because, I will no longer be taking their calls!

Would you fire a client given these circumstances? Should I take any blame for this?

Short Version: They called Verizon and had them disconnect their DSL line. They then called me and literally SCREAMED at me, stating that it was my fault that they did this. This has been the 4th time that they have been verbally abusive to me either in person or over the phone.

Long Version: Phone Subcontractor is in activating a new extension for a new hire in their accounting office. Phone guy asks if I know anything about the DSL phone number. Yes I do, it's this number here, flipping over the DSL modem where I had attached a little info sheet. Phone guy tells me, that the owners want him to switch the DSL modem to this other line, some fax line. I say no, that won't work, as the DSL line is this one right here. Phone guy, ok, I'll tell them that.
Weeks pass. This past Friday afternoon, I get a call from the Parking Guys asst. stating that the network is down and that this is unacceptable. I ask her to tell me exactly what isn't working, is the INTERNET not working. Yes, she says, I called Verizon and had them disconnect a line and now we haven't been able to get e-mail. Ok, you need to call Verizon and get them to undo they change then.
About 45 minutes later I get a second call from their Operations Manger, asking if I know anything about the DSL modem being down. Again I say, it's Verizon, you guys had them make a change, call them and have them undo it. At this point one of the owners jumps on the speaker phone and starts to scream at me about the $50 dollar charge and how he told Verizon to get rid of the $50 charge that kept re-appearing on his phone bill. Why didn't I tell him that I told the phone guy to not connect the DSL modem to the fax line? I, of course being the calm even tempered person that I am, begin screaming back. How is this my fault? The DSL is plugged into the correct line, call Verizon and have them fix it. After about 5 minutes of us screaming back and forth, the Parking guy gives up and tells me he has to go.:rolleyes:

<RANT> - Which brings us to know. I'm done w/ these fuckers. I don't care how much $$ I'm gonna miss out on. They are the biggest dicks in the world. What kind of asshole thinks that his internet connection only costs $2/month? What kind of Asshole doesn't ask his IT guy to explain his phone bill to him? What kind of asshole doesnt ask Verizon to explain his phone bill to him? :mad: </RANT>

No amount of money is worth the stress that stupidity puts on your life. If they made the mistake and in a round about way admitting to them making a mistake, and expect you to fix it, then it's time to leave them.

Coqui said:
No amount of money is worth the stress that stupidity puts on your life. If they made the mistake and in a round about way admitting to them making a mistake, and expect you to fix it, then it's time to leave them.
The stress is beginning to be greater than the money. Hell, this happenned on Friday and here I am Monday still pissed about it.

The fuckers better haven't sent my check out last week. Damn them!

Drool-Boy said:
Ya, Id kick their asses to the curb too.

Me too. If they can't be professional and respectful I wouldn't do business with them. It shows they obviously have no moral business sense so you know it's never going to change with them. Show them the road before they really dick you over on something big.

KNYTE said:
I wish I had employees to fire and yell at. :(

Hopefully by the end of the year I'll have a few.
They'd just slap your little ass down :)

These guys yell alot at their employees. Which leads me to ask: Are most employers/mangers/bosses yellers? I've seen plenty of the passive aggresive types, but this is only the second mange by yelling kinda company I've come across. What are other people's experience in this regard?

fly said:
Well that blows. Why did I hear about this on the internets?
I mentioned it Friday night I thought.

Either way Celeste wanted me to shut the hell up about it, as she caught a little shrapnel from the blow out earlier Friday.

lemon_fresh said:

These guys yell alot at their employees. Which leads me to ask: Are most employers/mangers/bosses yellers? I've seen plenty of the passive aggresive types, but this is only the second mange by yelling kinda company I've come across. What are other people's experience in this regard?

:lol:

I talk a big game, but in reality I get no satisfaction from yelling at and/or degrading people. I've had managers in the past that thought the only way to get their point across was to raise their voice, but I think all that does is generate contempt and anger. You get more respect and action from people when you calmly tell them what you expect from them, or let them know that they've done something wrong and you'd like to see them correct it.

tell them their new rate is 3x what it currently is...either they pay it and you win or they bail out and you win

KNYTE said:
:lol:

I talk a big game, but in reality I get no satisfaction from yelling at and/or degrading people. I've had managers in the past that thought the only way to get their point across was to raise their voice, but I think all that does is generate contempt and anger. You get more respect and action from people when you calmly tell them what you expect from them, or let them know that they've done something wrong and you'd like to see them correct it.

In this particular situation it was all about assigning blame. I feel bad for the people who are stuck working there day in and day out. I was only able to last so long as a consultant because I didn't have to go in there every day. To be subjected to that daily....I'd kill somebody.
I'm done with them. This is the second time know that they have made me want to head over to their offices w/ a bat and take it to someone's head. I don't like being that person at all.

why_ask_why said:
tell them their new rate is 3x what it currently is...either they pay it and you win or they bail out and you win

This thought has entered my mind, but I'd still feel like whore even at three times the $$$. Somebody else can have the headaches and stress that comes with them. I'll have to run some ads and pop in on some local business' to drum up some new clientsto replace the revenue, but c'est la vie!

why_ask_why said:

There ya go, raise your price till its worth it to deal with them.
If they wont pay it, then you still win:)

lemon_fresh said:

I've seen a lot of yellers working for a rather sizeable company as you can imagine, there are varying types however.

Some do it to feel important, some do it to belittle others every chance they get because they have poor self-esteem, some do it because they don't know any other way to get their point accross (Large, loud families as a kid no doubt), very few do it because they wear their hearts on their sleeves and have no apparant ability to throttle their emotions (I can actually work very well with this type, you always know exactly where you stand - no dishonesty and no pretense is present), and of course then there are the arrogant assholes who just have to have their way.

Other than the assholes and the first two I mentioned, I don't mind the yelling. The absolute worst boss I've ever had was a decided non-yeller, she was a damn hippy that wouldn't be honest about anything even if you threatened to choke a whale in front of her :rant:

lemon_fresh said:
This thought has entered my mind, but I'd still feel like whore even at three times the $$$. Somebody else can have the headaches and stress that comes with them. I'll have to run some ads and pop in on some local business' to drum up some new clientsto replace the revenue, but c'est la vie!

aren't we all whores for money at the end of the day? I don't work for free :p

You always reply to someone saying their Internet connection is down with but my connection is up. I think you have an id10t error. Reboot your computers and call this number (some local suicide watch number). Then forward any calls from them to a local pizza delivery place. After they've had some pizza they will call back and be nice.