I'm beginning to feel the furry, even though I shouldn't.

if being pedantic about it suits you - be my guest.

it's not pedantic. you're misusing the word to form your argument. atheism does not mean a belief that there is no god. agnosticism is not just weak atheism. there is a significant difference between the points of view. I wouldn't have brought it up if you hadn't tried to base your entire "atheism is anti-scientific" babble on that very premise

it's not pedantic. you're misusing the word to form your argument. atheism does not mean a belief that there is no god. agnosticism is not just weak atheism. there is a significant difference between the points of view. I wouldn't have brought it up if you hadn't tried to base your entire "atheism is anti-scientific" babble on that very premise

asexual - without sex

amoral - without morals

aphasic - without ability to communicate

my argument wasn't about the root of the word, my argument was about the faith blindness - because you decided that was my argument doesn't make it so.

biweekly - every two... sorry twice a week

asexual - without sex

amoral - without morals

aphasic - without ability to communicate

my argument wasn't about the root of the word, my argument was about the faith blindness - because you decided that was my argument doesn't make it so.

biweekly - every two... sorry twice a week

and thus atheism - without theism. it's still not that simple

You said 100% atheism is anti-science. This is not true because believing that there needs to be "finite proof there is no god" is not an inherent qualification of atheism. That was your argument, bro.

and thus atheism - without theism. it's still not that simple

You said 100% atheism is anti-science. This is not true because believing that there needs to be "finite proof there is no god" is not an inherent qualification of atheism. That was your argument, bro.

If you don't require finite proof of something to 100% believe it I'd say you're anti-science.

Guessing is still guessing - even if it is supported by emperical data.

If you don't require finite proof of something to 100% believe it I'd say you're anti-science.

Guessing is still guessing - even if it is supported by emperical data.

Atheism - even "100% atheism" - does not make the statement "there is no god or gods". Thus there is nothing that requires finite proof.

One can be 100% atheist without ever making any statement that requires proof. A 100% atheist can merely say "I don't know if there's something supernatural out there".

Last edited:
That's Agnosticism.

it's weak/passive atheism. agnosticism takes it a step further and says such things are unknowable. you can have agnostic theism instead which says there is something out there but we'll never know for sure

what I imagine you're thinking of is weak atheism which is basically :iono:

Last edited:
Actually, it might be a good thing for the child to see both sides of the fence. I think one of the main reasons why people are religious is because their parents taught it to them and they know nothing else. If they are given choices and wide varieties of experiences, maybe they would make better decisions and make up their own minds.

Yep very good point. Hopefully they will be intelligent enough to understand that the creationist point of view is claptrap, but to ban them from being exposed to any point of view is a bit silly, IMHO.

You are talking about branches of Nontheism. Isn't that getting a little donnish?

I think it's safe to say, Atheists don't believe, and Agnostics don't know.

just remember you'll always have the upper hand cause the shit you like is 8,000,000 times more interesting than bible shit. the kid will grow up and realize the easter bunny isn't real, and then you can buy him a hooker for his 18th birthday if the grandparents are still alive. they'll be completely pissed and there's nothing a wrinkly old bible thumping hag can do to compete with a hot prostitute.

also, i thought this thread was going to be about dressing up like animals and fucking. especially after i started reading about dinosaurs.

How many have you heard?

Atheism is commonly described as the position that there are no deities.[1] It can also mean the rejection of belief in the existence of deities.[2] A broader meaning is simply the absence of belief that any deities exist
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Atheism

someone who denies the existence of god
wordnetweb.princeton.edu/perl/webwn

atheism - the doctrine or belief that there is no God
wordnetweb.princeton.edu/perl/webwn

atheism - A belief that there are no gods
www.reasoned.org/glossary.htm

atheism - Denies the existence of any God, thought it is traditionally focused on the rejection of the Biblical God.
www.crossroad.to/glossary/religious.htm

atheism - This word comes from two Greek words, a the negator, and theos, God. Atheism teaches that there is no God of any kind, anywhere, anytime. Some atheists claim to "Excercise no belief in a god" the same way they would exercise no belief in pink unicorns. ...
www.spiritrestoration.org/Theological_Terms/A_Prior_ to_Born_Again.htm

One who disbelieves or denies the existence of God or gods.
http://www.thefreedictionary.com/atheist

a: a disbelief in the existence of deity b : the doctrine that there is no deity
http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/atheism

1.the doctrine or belief that there is no god.
2.disbelief in the existence of a supreme being or beings.
http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/atheism

ORIGIN: Greek "a-theos": without-god

Do I need to keep going?

Half of those state the same thing I did. A mere disbelief, not an outright denial. Atheism today is separated into distinct categories, one of which is mere not giving a frak and not thinking about it, another is thinking about it but decided one doesn't believe and yet another actually makes the claim. Few atheists are like that and that's not "agnostic" because that one actually makes the claim that whether or not there is something out there, it's impossible to ever know. One can be agnostic and still believe that there is some kind of god out there.

Half of those state the same thing I did. A mere disbelief, not an outright denial. Atheism today is separated into distinct categories, one of which is mere not giving a frak and not thinking about it, another is thinking about it but decided one doesn't believe and yet another actually makes the claim. Few atheists are like that and that's not "agnostic" because that one actually makes the claim that whether or not there is something out there, it's impossible to ever know. One can be agnostic and still believe that there is some kind of god out there.

alright - we get it, you've read a few books. we're all very impressed.

would you like to argue about the colour red being the same colour of red that i see?

alright - we get it, you've read a few books. we're all very impressed.

would you like to argue about the colour red being the same colour of red that i see?

Screw that. Let's discuss purple. Before you start, I've got Whoppee Goldberg in my corner. Ante up!