I'm a sucker for these things

I think that would be cool to hide in a kitchen cabinet somewhere, with a cheap 15 inch LCD on the counter, for looking up recipes or general kitchen-related web browsing.

I'm a sucker for those things too..... in fact, I have grand plans for one of these, and very soon.

classicII.jpg

Think mini-itx stuffed in there, 9" lcd, laptop drive and an OS running off of a compact flash card. Yeah, I'm sure it's been done before, but so what?

What I don't understand are Linux users obsession with putting everything on Linux.

"OMG I GOT MY BLENDER RUNNING ON GENTOO THEN OVERCLOCKED IT! IT'S SO L33T!"

KNYTE said:
What I don't understand are Linux users obsession with putting everything on Linux.

"OMG I GOT MY BLENDER RUNNING ON GENTOO THEN OVERCLOCKED IT! IT'S SO L33T!"
Now that I've started using it more, I begin to understand. Its a bit like hot rodding back in the day. You can tune and tweak the OS to exactly what you want it to be and actually do useful shit on it. Being able to do so on older or more poorly spec'ed equipment is a bonus because then you can tinker with your hobby and not have it cost a ton of money.

theacoustician said:
Now that I've started using it more, I begin to understand. Its a bit like hot rodding back in the day. You can tune and tweak the OS to exactly what you want it to be and actually do useful shit on it. Being able to do so on older or more poorly spec'ed equipment is a bonus because then you can tinker with your hobby and not have it cost a ton of money.
yep, thanks to that link I found Puppy. I got a neat old Sony touchscreen handheld at home just waiting for some lightweight linux distro that I didnt know about.

bast_imret said:
We should mod shawndavid's Rabbit to run off linux. More efficient vibrations per cycle.

I've got a 34% savings on battery power over it's original OS. THAT'S MORE PLEASURE PER POWERCELL YO!

theacoustician said:
Gamepark, yep. I thought about it, but their homebrew is mixed. Some great emu's and some bad ones. I hear the rev. 2 edition of their handheld is hot, but I'd still rather have a DS Lite.

There's been talk around here at work of putting together a group buy on those.... it's sooo very tempting. But yeah, a DS Lite would probably still be cooler than this thing, if not way less nerdy.