FYI Illegal Immigrants in Australia

Texas is hiring...

don't think i could bring myself to live there. everything looks very cookie-cutter samey samey. of course that's an aesthetic thing, but when you're selectively paying to go there and live there you better bloody like how the place looks.

can't say I blame her

2x the average pay of the UK, no over-inflated housing market. necessities are more expensive, but the tax burden is smaller. healthcare is similar to the UK but much more efficient due to delegation of management.

also, the scenery of both really doesn't compare.

Switzerland or Norway will be my port of call within the next 2 years. Wife's having none of it though. Wants to go somewhere that isn't ball freezing for 9 months of the year.

Actually the weather from Spring through Autumn isn't much different in, say, Zurich than London or Dublin. In fact the Summer is warmer. Central Switzerland is a world away from the Alpine region in terms of weather.

Last edited:
Actually the weather from Spring through Autumn isn't much different in, say, Zurich than London or Dublin. In fact the Summer is warmer. Central Switzerland is a world away from the Alpine region in terms of weather.

this is very true, it's also landlocked so no freezing sea air blowing over either apart from the med (possibly, my geography is painful)

don't think i could bring myself to live there. everything looks very cookie-cutter samey samey. of course that's an aesthetic thing, but when you're selectively paying to go there and live there you better bloody like how the place looks.

2x the average pay of the UK, no over-inflated housing market. necessities are more expensive, but the tax burden is smaller. healthcare is similar to the UK but much more efficient due to delegation of management.

also, the scenery of both really doesn't compare.

don't they pay like 60%+ of their salary in taxes?

don't they pay like 60%+ of their salary in taxes?

certainly in higher brackets - but for someone my age/pay bracket the burden is a lot less than here, and i will still be covered by working comp, pensions still exist, healthcare etc. which is a lot more important to me than saving 10 buxx on my taxbill every month that i'll only spend on something stupid anyway.

Switzerland or Norway will be my port of call within the next 2 years. Wife's having none of it though. Wants to go somewhere that isn't ball freezing for 9 months of the year.

Stavanger and Seattle have similar climates. Temperate with warmer, wetter winters than the interior.