Hawt iiNet (ISP) Slays Hollywood in Landmark Piracy Case

OzSTEEZ

¡ɟɟo ʞɔnɟ ʇunɔ 'ᴉO
Nov 11, 2008
Oz
Marklar
₥25,442
http://www.smh.com.au/technology/te...od-in-landmark-piracy-case-20100204-ndwr.html

The giants of the film industry have lost their case against ISP iiNet in a landmark judgment handed down in the Federal Court today.
The decision had the potential to impact internet users and the internet industry profoundly as it sets a legal precedent surrounding how much ISPs are required to do to prevent customers from downloading movies and other content illegally.
But after an on-and-off eight-week trial that examined whether iiNet authorised customers to download pirated movies, Justice Dennis Cowdroy found that the ISP was not liable for the downloading habits of its customers.

Score 1 for the little guys! Awesome!

The record and movie industries haven't really proven that some form of piracy is always bad for their industry. Sometimes it can actually help good movies and music.

Interesting.. How does that DC++ work? Torrents?

No. It's Directconnect protocol. Central hubs scattered through out the world used for searching other users. Once you find the file you want it starts an independent connection between the two users but nothing is passed through the hub itself. Used with Peerblock it's not bad.

Torrents are very very monitored now. Have peerblock open and try downloading a Torrent and you see several watchdog groups trying to see what you are doing.

man this DC++ seems complicated.

Nah. Pm me any questions and I can give you a hand. Most of the settings you can start at default except where you want to save files, what you are willing to share, and connection type/port forwarding.

The good thing about it being complicated is it cuts down on the people that you probably don't want on there.

newzbin just went to court. this could be a big one for deciding what we can and cannot do on the internuts

I just pay for things I want, it's easier.

I try to do this but...

f*ck that.

I'll only pay for something that has been proven to be worth the money.

Sometimes you have to try before you buy. Ive done this with games movies and music.
Ill grab something, and if its awesome, cool, Ill go buy it. if it sucks, then I delete it and move on.
Im tired of paying blindly for something and getting screwed cuz it sucks.

I try to do this but...

Sometimes you have to try before you buy. Ive done this with games movies and music.
Ill grab something, and if its awesome, cool, Ill go buy it. if it sucks, then I delete it and move on.
Im tired of paying blindly for something and getting screwed cuz it sucks.

Exactly.. I also do the same for software expensive software.