If You Were Genetically Predisposed to Have Breast Cancer - Would you Remove Your Bre

there was an article in the times about this recently. woman had a double mastectomy, but it was done in a way that saved the skin and nipple. silicone implants replaced the breast tissue. they are basically identical except for a couple scars and the fact that they're non-functional. the same woman is also going to have a hysterectomy as soon as she has kids.

she tested positive for a specific gene which indicates her odds of getting breast cancer are between 60 and 90 percent. She also had several relatives develop it as young as 33.

looking for linky.

edit: http://www.nytimes.com/2007/09/16/health/16gene.html

Last edited:
wow. cancer's such a scary thing. i have a friend who was just diagnosed with breast cancer. i wonder who all here will get it (chikken's already had his turn.) i wonder who all will get it in my family and friends. because you know you will know a handful of people who get cancer over the course of your lives. i wonder if it'll be me.

i don't know what i'd do about preventative measures. i do know that i have loved being able to breastfeed my children. pre-kids? i probably wouldn't have had them removed. post-kids? i'd have to do a ton of research, of course, but it'd look favorable to do it, i'm sure.

my friend who's going though chemo right now just emailed me yesterday about how her hair was falling out in clumps yesterday morning during her shower. all she said were positive things about NOT having hair. she's inspiring.

how do you think it feels to be going through cancer/chemo? standing in the shower trying to wash your hair and all it does is come out? what does it feel like to get in with a full head of hair and then get out with bald patches?
i can't imagine. :hs:

The bald part is one I am already one with :D think of the time she'll save in the shower, not having to condition it.

that was one pro in her list amid several others. no coloring, blow-drying, styling, styling products, hair cuts...and she is going to try out being a redhead for the first time in her life. :)
and spange came up with four or five halloween ideas for her, so she's all set! :lol:

I don't think I would remove them just cause I'm at high risk for the disease, but I would be extremely diligent in testing and such so that if I got breast cancer it could be taken care of immediately.

how weird is this...i just met a girl today who lives down the street who is having this done on monday!!! i could not believe it. she had some test done that revealed that she has a high chance of getting breast cancer. she's got two kids, she's done, and she's going for it! she's also having reconstructive surgery. she said she'll be down six weeks.

I really don't understand the preemptive strike...that's like getting all your teeth pulled at 30 and getting dentures to head off the inevitable :lol:

bad teeth don't kill ya.

Yeah in a way they do. People with bad teeth and gums are more likely to have heart disease.

Several studies suggest a link between the health of your teeth and gums and heart disease. One study found poor oral health to be a stronger risk factor for heart disease than high triglycerides. Another study discovered that older people whose mouths contained high levels of gum disease-causing bacteria also tended to have thicker carotid arteries, a strong predictor of heart attack. Research suggests that people with severe gum disease have double the risk of fatal heart disease.

Last edited:
how weird is this...i just met a girl today who lives down the street who is having this done on monday!!! i could not believe it. she had some test done that revealed that she has a high chance of getting breast cancer. she's got two kids, she's done, and she's going for it! she's also having reconstructive surgery. she said she'll be down six weeks.

Good for her, nip it in the butt and take care of it. Who would want to put their family through that?

nip it in the butt
GrammarNazi.jpg