If You Were Genetically Predisposed to Have Breast Cancer - Would you Remove Your Bre

APRIL

Feel Free to Pee on Me
Sep 30, 2004
Houston
Marklar
₥60,587
http://www.cnn.com/exchange/blogs/ypwr/

art.avner.jpg

Albert Camus said, "There are some people who prefer to look their destiny straight in the eye." Lindsay Avner is, without a doubt, one of those people. At a healthy 23, she volunteered to get a double mastectomy because virtually every woman in her life, her mother, grandmother, great grandmother, aunts and cousins, suffered from or died of breast cancer.

Avner took control of her own destiny after a blood test revealed she had a genetic predisposition to the disease. She didn't want to live in fear. She wanted to meet her future husband and say, "we got this out of the way so our family won't go through what I did growing up."

With her new nonprofit organization, Avner is helping raise money and awareness for the disease she knows she won't suffer from but other women will. The mantra is "Be Brilliant. Be Bold. Be Bright Pink." They are things Avner has mastered and with this community, she tries to empower other women to also look their own destiny and the disease straight in the eye.

Do you have a question for Avner? Post it as a comment below or, better yet, put it on video and send it in to I-Report and look for it during the live interview this Friday on CNN Live Video. You can also use the I-Report page to tell us about another young person who rocks -- we found Avner that way. Could someone you know be next?

tl;dr?
Cliffs: 23 year old chick has a double mastectomy before any signs of cancer so her future family does not have to go through what she did.

It doesn't say if she got a boob job or not.

What would you do if your SO decided to do this? Support her?

I indirectly know of a lady who's mother has cervical cancer, and she herself was identified as a carrier so she went ahead and had a hysterectomy done. Sure beats getting the cancer I guess.

Definitely.

Would you have removed your ball if you knew beforehand?

I would wait for it to happen but nip it early due to checkups if I was knowledgeable that it would likely happen...same reason I've never had a tattoo or a piercing...I like me fine as is

http://www.cnn.com/exchange/blogs/ypwr/

art.avner.jpg

tl;dr?
Cliffs: 23 year old chick has a double mastectomy before any signs of cancer so her future family does not have to go through what she did.

It doesn't say if she got a boob job or not.

What would you do if your SO decided to do this? Support her?
Don't have an answer for the thread title but if I had an s/o considering this I'd advise her to get as many medical opinions as possible, fully consider all possible options and support whatever decision she made.

It would depend on how high the odds were...if they were high enough then yes, I could see having prophylactic mastectomies done.