If my religious beliefs were a car, I can't find reverse

What's so wrong with being religious?

There's an argument that many religious people follow their religions much like sheep, mindlessly and unquestioning. The true can be said of those who denounce religion and spirituality simply because it's the cool thing to do at the time or because they haven't taken the time to look within themselves to find proper answers.

I don't think anyone who truly felt at peace with their own athiesm or agnosticism could in good conscience ridicule those who hold their spirituality close to their hearts.

My church is Catholic, also, but even on Christmas and other holidays most people just wear normal clothes.

Yeah but "normal" for Flynavy is stained sweatpants, a Dale Earnheart Jr t-shirt with the neck ripped out and his fancy flannel ;)

Baptizing a child isn't exactly the same as baptizing a consenting adult. Basically what you are doing when you baptize a baby like that is dedicating him to the church .. ie announcing to the congregation that the parents will dedicate their life to raising the child in a godly manner and teach the child whatever religion that they are.

It doesn't mean that the child must follow any given religion or that the child has had any religious rights taken away or forced onto them.

What's so wrong with being religious?

well, some people dislike religion because of the stained history behind virtually every major religion as well as the fact that some religious folk try to push their beliefs on others. unfortunately so many of those "some" happen to be elected officials which pisses off said people

Baptizing a child isn't exactly the same as baptizing a consenting adult. Basically what you are doing when you baptize a baby like that is dedicating him to the church .. ie announcing to the congregation that the parents will dedicate their life to raising the child in a godly manner and teach the child whatever religion that they are.

It doesn't mean that the child must follow any given religion or that the child has had any religious rights taken away or forced onto them.
Depends on the church. In the Catholic church infant baptism is all about washing away original sin (Adam and Eve disobeying and eating the forbidden fruit). It isn't "just a dedication". The parents and godparents do agree to help raise the child, but then again so does the rest of the congregation (as asked by the priest during the ceremony). The Catholic Church believes all men are sinners and born as such (only exception was Mary) hence the need for baptism.

However yeah, they do confirmation to give the choice to follow as an adult. It bugs the hell out of me when parents or schools force teens to do it though.

well, some people dislike religion because of the stained history behind virtually every major religion as well as the fact that some religious folk try to push their beliefs on others. unfortunately so many of those "some" happen to be elected officials which pisses off said people

I :heart: you.

Depends on the church. In the Catholic church infant baptism is all about washing away original sin (Adam and Eve disobeying and eating the forbidden fruit). It isn't "just a dedication". The parents and godparents do agree to help raise the child, but then again so does the rest of the congregation (as asked by the priest during the ceremony). The Catholic Church believes all men are sinners and born as such (only exception was Mary) hence the need for baptism.

However yeah, they do confirmation to give the choice to follow as an adult. It bugs the hell out of me when parents or schools force teens to do it though.

Catholics don't baptize or dedicate children, they christen them .. it's a totally different act than what other religions perform. To my knowledge, Catholics don't baptize adults either.

Catholics don't baptize or dedicate children, they christen them .. it's a totally different act than what other religions perform. To my knowledge, Catholics don't baptize adults either.

In February, My wife and I, who are Roman Catholic, will be baptizing our baby.

This is a picture of inside my church of an adult being baptized:
25473ef26d03956.jpg