If anyone is interested - Yodlee for keeping track of finances

i think she's talking about comparing receipts to the account to make sure no money is unaccounted for. i don't think anyone actually writes things down in a chequebook anymore.

This is correct. Plus, the people that process transactions make mistakes all the time and i have caught a lot of them.

so do any of you couples have a shared account? if so, what's the best way you have found to record debits in one checkbook? i used to balance until spange and i combined...now debit purchases are never remembered or written down..and so balancing checkbook has gone down the drain. any good tips?

We don't share an account (thank god.) Personally, there isn't much of a reason for joint accounts unless one person isn't working to care for the kids.

Give him an allowance, that way there aren't any unknown expenses. :fly:

i think she's talking about comparing receipts to the account to make sure no money is unaccounted for. i don't think anyone actually writes things down in a chequebook anymore.

I don't even do that. I look at my bank account almost every day online and mentally record any purchases that have not gone through yet.

Also use debit on purchases as much as I can since it automatically withdrawals.

This is correct. Plus, the people that process transactions make mistakes all the time and i have caught a lot of them.

True, but it is all done by computer. The only big mistake I can think of are wait staff plugging in the numbers manually.

I've had one wrong transaction once. Never corrected it tho... lazy > *.*

True, but it is all done by computer. The only big mistake I can think of are wait staff plugging in the numbers manually.

that's a good point. the best place to catch mistakes is finding a difference between the listed price and what it scans as. once the bar code data is in the computer correctly there isn't much chance for error.

the only place i could get hosed would be credit card transactions with tips.

Exactly.

I've had people swipe my card numerous times at restaurants, gas stations, grocery stores. I've had people charge my account for things I didn't "sign up for" online after making apurchase.

If I didn't check on that stuff monthly .. I could be screwed in no time. All it would take is for me to not catch a couple $200 NON- made by me - purchases and then me get close to the end of the month (right after all my bills are due) and make a large purchase and then several small ones after it .. and BAM .. I've got a real big problem.

I'm a single mom and not even close to independently wealthy .. so if $400-800 goes missing out of my account it definately hurts. I learned the hard way to keep tabs on this stuff if you shop online a lot (which I do mainly .. I really don't care much for having to go into an actual store).

I correct on principle. When you have an hour I will tell you my St Pete Times story ;)

Exactly.

I've had people swipe my card numerous times at restaurants, gas stations, grocery stores. I've had people charge my account for things I didn't "sign up for" online after making apurchase.

If I didn't check on that stuff monthly .. I could be screwed in no time. All it would take is for me to not catch a couple $200 NON- made by me - purchases and then me get close to the end of the month (right after all my bills are due) and make a large purchase and then several small ones after it .. and BAM .. I've got a real big problem.

I'm a single mom and not even close to independently wealthy .. so if $400-800 goes missing out of my account it definately hurts. I learned the hard way to keep tabs on this stuff if you shop online a lot (which I do mainly .. I really don't care much for having to go into an actual store).

After getting charged 44.00 for a 4.40 chicken sandwhich plus having to deal with overdraft fees. I started saving receipts along with balancing my account. I have multiple savings accounts that I really don't worry about I will just adjust the amount when I need to but I am very anal about my checking account.

so do any of you couples have a shared account? if so, what's the best way you have found to record debits in one checkbook? i used to balance until spange and i combined...now debit purchases are never remembered or written down..and so balancing checkbook has gone down the drain. any good tips?

Just make sure to get a receipt for EVERYTHING, and make sure the person with the checkbook gets them. Thats the way we do and it works well for us.

Yes, online shopping is ftw. Walking through a mall or store is time consuming.

Do you guys not bank online? I watch the purchases coming out of my account and know when there is something that shouldn't be there.

I still cannot grasp how people are still balancing their checking account.

Yes, online shopping is ftw. Walking through a mall or store is time consuming.

Do you guys not bank online? I watch the purchases coming out of my account and know when there is something that shouldn't be there.

I still cannot grasp how people are still balancing their checking account.

I just have a hard time dealing with trying on clothes someone else has just tried on before me. I had a bad experience trying on clothes at Goody's once. I do that as little as possible now. If I can tell they JUST put it out .. I might try it on lol .. otherwise .. I'll go home and see if it's on their website. If it's not, I guess that means I didn't really need it after all :lol:.

I use a small city bank. They have online banking .. but I can do it myself quicker and faster. I don't take Sat/Sun/or holiday's off. I don't close early. I also don't have "technical difficulties". lol I trust my math a lot better than I trust theirs.

I just prefer doing stuff longhand I suppose. I like to know it's right, and not depend on someone else to tell me it is. Actual people are entering that stuff onto your online banking .. people make mistakes. People miss lines of text and enter wrong numbers.

I would rather be mad at me than someone else. :shrugs: lol

Last edited:
After getting charged 44.00 for a 4.40 chicken sandwhich plus having to deal with overdraft fees. I started saving receipts along with balancing my account. I have multiple savings accounts that I really don't worry about I will just adjust the amount when I need to but I am very anal about my checking account.

And do you report the interest earned on those savings accounts each year??

i miss your ear :heart: :drool: