I wish i had a van

I started a thread somewhere in here about a guy who worked for me that I caught sleeping in one of our work vans. I was told by HR that I could not fire him for that specifically unless is was pointed out in his job description that he could not sleep in said van. No shit.

Florida isn't a right to work state?

No, it is. Either this woman has her head up her ass or I don't know the true definition of "right to work" state. It's not as cut and dry as you might think.

It's a little more complicated than that - there was talk of him being ill or on drugs which can turn into HIPPA (Sp?) violations. He ended up getting fired anyway but that is an entire thread in itself. :rolleyes:

Let me clarify: he told me he was ill and as his boss I can't fire him for that so sleeping in the van is OK. And it's not in his job description that he can't. LOL @ myself now going in circles.

Last edited:
Did he have some form of letter from his doctor saying he was ill and need to sleep at work?

Sounds like you have a shitty hr person.

We fired a guy a while back for sleeping. He tried to sue. Our team of lawyers explained that if they had to deal with a case they would make him their bitch and he would end up paying us money. He dropped everything.

Let me clarify: he told me he was ill and as his boss I can't fire him for that so sleeping in the van is OK. And it's not in his job description that he can't. LOL @ myself now going in circles.

I would have re-written his job description to say that sleeping on the job was a fireable offense, make him sign it, and if he doesnt like it hes free to find another job.
Either that or just hire someone to beat the shit outta him.

I would have re-written his job description to say that sleeping on the job was a fireable offense, make him sign it, and if he doesnt like it hes free to find another job.
Either that or just hire someone to beat the shit outta him.

She should have sent april after him. fly would have just tried to hug it out.

Did he have some form of letter from his doctor saying he was ill and need to sleep at work?

Sounds like you have a shitty hr person.

We fired a guy a while back for sleeping. He tried to sue. Our team of lawyers explained that if they had to deal with a case they would make him their bitch and he would end up paying us money. He dropped everything.

Its one thing to sleep while on the clock, but i dont see a problem with taking a nap in your car for your lunch break.

The guy we fired had brought in a pillow and blanket into work and had built himself a hidden place in a basement to sleep. Not during lunch hours.

OMFG :fly: :fly:

Turns out this guy was smoking crack and was fired a few days later for stealing. He was so screwed up he would sleep in a van, windows up, in JULY (95 degress out.) I'm surprised he didn't die from heat exhaustion. That must be why he would do it in the morning...