I was impressed

b_sinning

Erect Member
Nov 22, 2004
Savannah, GA
Marklar
₥10
Sorry about the long read but it's worth it. It's chicken soup for the soul type of stuff.

My mother in law had a get together at her house last night and my wife made me go. I was talking with her aunt and she told me she was adopting 5 kids. I knew they had been looking to adopt for the past year now that their son was 17 and talking about moving out in a year. As long as I've know her, everyone has always ragged on her for being spoiled and being very needy. A type of person that asks for alot but rarely gave anything back. So when she said she was going to adopt 5 kids everyone started telling her she was crazy and that she was probably doing it for the wrong reasons given her past history.
Last night was the first time I had heard her talk about adopting the kids. She seemed so changed. I didn't get the whole story but plan on trying to tonight. The 5 kids are aged 1,3,7,10, and 11. One day their parent's just vanished. No one is exactly sure what happened to them. They don't know if they abandoned the kids, were kidnapped or killed, or whatever. There are just listed as missing. The kids don't know and no one wants to force the issue with them. So the parents vanish and the 11 year old and 10 year old starts to take care of the family. The kids spent almost 2 months on their own. The older kids would go to a convience store and steal change out of the take penny tray to buy milk for the baby. I didn't hear how they were discovered but my aunt heard about the story in the news. She said she couldn't live her life without knowing she had done everything possible to help the kids.
She went to the state and pleaded for them to give her the chance to take care of the kids. They sold their nice sporty cars and bought the best mini vans they could afford. They sold their house and spent everything they had on getting a larger house even though it wil make their lives harder and they have to live further from where they want to be to be able to afford it. Pretty much they are willing to give up all of their time and most of their prized possesions to be able to help these kids and make a diference in their lives. All without asking for help from anyone just because it's something they believe they have to do.
I was impressed. Everyone had always seen them as sort of selfish people and they are doing this amazing thing because they know it's right. They admit life is going to be harder and they will have to do so much work but they don't care and just say everything will be ok becuase it's just what they have to do. I'm not a weepy person but it brought a tear to my eyes that someone is willing to give up so much just to do a good thing. Everyone always says they want to do something to make a difference but it's not often you seen some actually do it. It helped me regain some of my faith in my fellow man. My wife had me sneak away from the get together and take out some money from the bank so she could hide it in her aunts purse. She just left her note saying I'm proud of you clipped to it with out a name.
So often we like to believe we would always make the hard decision and do good even though it's hard but we all know we don't actually do it enough. It's nice to see someone actually do that and it really just inspires you to want to do something similar.

You guys all be nice to each other and do something nice for someone for no reason or reward at all and the world will be a better place. It just makes me want to try harder to be that type of person.

awww...makes me wanna go adopt some kids. occasionally, i'll give someone some change as they're digging through their purse/pocket. i've bought people their meals behind me at the drive-through. it makes me feel so good to do the little things. makes me human all over again.

My wife always carries extra jackets that she picks up from goodwil in the trunk of her car. If she sees someone down on their luck cold in the winter she just stops and gives them a jacket and wishes them a good day. I'm always scared something is going to happen to her but she says it's just someting she has to do. She drives me nuts but I love her like crazy.

b_sinning said:
My wife always carries extra jackets that she picks up from goodwil in the trunk of her car. If she sees someone down on their luck cold in the winter she just stops and gives them a jacket and wishes them a good day. I'm always scared something is going to happen to her but she says it's just someting she has to do. She drives me nuts but I love her like crazy.
:heart:

i've wanted to carry around a bag of bread and a jar of peanut butter to do just what your wife does. i AM intimidated, though. i'm a chicken shit...i will never be a big-city girl, no matter how hard i try. it makes me too uncomfortable.

Wow...strange story about the 5 kids, but I'd take care of them too. I think life is meaningless if you don't help out when you can, and an 11-year-old should never be the provider in his family. That's a pretty tragic situation. I have a weak spot for kids though. I can't stand to see them suffering or struggling. It's just not natural.

Sarcasmo said:
Wow...strange story about the 5 kids, but I'd take care of them too. I think life is meaningless if you don't help out when you can, and an 11-year-old should never be the provider in his family. That's a pretty tragic situation. I have a weak spot for kids though. I can't stand to see them suffering or struggling. It's just not natural.

:heart:

b_sinning said:

i do this with blankets..
if theres some place close enough i'll go get them something to eat as well. Sit with them... talk.

Sometimes its scarey, and sometimes the people just take advantage.. But i've changed 1 persons life, gave him a number of a construction company, got him a job. Lost contact after that, but i can only hope he's doing better..