I think it got a little too hot......

BigDov

Erect Member
Oct 14, 2004
9,646
3
41
50
close to Seattle
Marklar
₥0.00
Marklar
M0
Got a message today that I needed to tend to a "fatal failure" today in the factory- apparently there was a flash of fire out the back of a server, lots of smoke and the idiots were still trying to power it down with the power button!!! :tard:

I opened the server up and found the suspect bad dimm. Suprisingly, there was not a bit of damage to the adjacent dimms.......... this is what I pulled out:



 

BigDov

Erect Member
Oct 14, 2004
9,646
3
41
50
close to Seattle
Marklar
₥0.00
Marklar
M0
theacoustician said:
How much fucking RAM is in that server?
That's a baby- only 16gb. That particular model is really meant to function with 64gb.

edit- 32gb is the ideal on that one, sorry. 32 512's in there for those pics. The ideal config is 32 1gb dimms :eek:
 
Last edited:

theacoustician

Flaccid Member
Sep 30, 2004
12,781
4
0
Marklar
₥0.00
Marklar
M0
BigDov said:
These are equivalent to a scaled down entry-level server, so I don't know. Schools and a certain copyer company is really big on 'em though.
Weird research by colleges I get. I don't see what 99% of businesses would do with something that massive.
 

b_sinning

Erect Member
Nov 22, 2004
22,790
47
41
44
Savannah, GA
Marklar
₥10.00
Marklar
M10
What type of Server is that? We have a few Sun 880s that we have 32GB of RAM in for huge Oracle Databases that control everything from Students Schedules to Fiscal Info.
 

BigDov

Erect Member
Oct 14, 2004
9,646
3
41
50
close to Seattle
Marklar
₥0.00
Marklar
M0
b_sinning said:
What type of Server is that? We have a few Sun 880s that we have 32GB of RAM in for huge Oracle Databases that control everything from Students Schedules to Fiscal Info.
1280/LightWeight 8 :)

Forgot to say that the tech that discovered this problem initially reported there was a blast of flame out the back of the unit, then a ton of smoke- the whole production floor stunk.
 

Syrup Beaver

pants log
Sep 30, 2004
47,726
205
41
48
beneath the soiled underbelly of the 'nev
Visit site
Marklar
₥0.00
Marklar
M0
theacoustician said:
Weird research by colleges I get. I don't see what 99% of businesses would do with something that massive.
:fly:

You should see the shit we have, IBM p690's with 128GB of RAM

On those larger machines, like the equivalent Sun 15K, it's not typically configured as a single host - multiple hosts per frame take some of the CPU's, I/O slots, and RAM. Sun calls 'em 'domains', IBM calls 'em LPARS (Like on their mainframes).
 

Syrup Beaver

pants log
Sep 30, 2004
47,726
205
41
48
beneath the soiled underbelly of the 'nev
Visit site
Marklar
₥0.00
Marklar
M0
BigDov said:
1280/LightWeight 8 :)

Forgot to say that the tech that discovered this problem initially reported there was a blast of flame out the back of the unit, then a ton of smoke- the whole production floor stunk.
That's hilarious, one of the Sun engineers got electrocuted in one of our sites because the power folks improperly grounded the frame :egads:
 

BigDov

Erect Member
Oct 14, 2004
9,646
3
41
50
close to Seattle
Marklar
₥0.00
Marklar
M0
ChikkenNoodul said:
:fly:

You should see the shit we have, IBM p690's with 128GB of RAM

On those larger machines, like the equivalent Sun 15K, it's not typically configured as a single host - multiple hosts per frame take some of the CPU's, I/O slots, and RAM. Sun calls 'em 'domains', IBM calls 'em LPARS (Like on their mainframes).

Yeah, some of the 15k's are shipping out with 288gb of ram these days........ and you describe the set up of hosts or domains perfectly :D
 

BigDov

Erect Member
Oct 14, 2004
9,646
3
41
50
close to Seattle
Marklar
₥0.00
Marklar
M0
ChikkenNoodul said:
That's hilarious, one of the Sun engineers got electrocuted in one of our sites because the power folks improperly grounded the frame :egads:

OMG :lol:

That reminds me of a new fru we got in- the flood and earthquake proof power cords! YES, FLOOD proof. Apparently, they tested them in water or some shit...... no thanks.
 

Syrup Beaver

pants log
Sep 30, 2004
47,726
205
41
48
beneath the soiled underbelly of the 'nev
Visit site
Marklar
₥0.00
Marklar
M0
BigDov said:
Yeah, some of the 15k's are shipping out with 288gb of ram these days........ and you describe the set up of hosts or domains perfectly :D
Damn, that's a lotta RAM

Both systems are pretty slick, the one advantage I see IBM having hardware-wise is the shared I/O cage among all LPAR's, whereas the Sun requires individual I/O boards for each domain. I think it's quite a bit easier to set the Sun system up though...