I think I'm pretty much done with the movie industry.

Wren

Flaccid Member
Oct 16, 2006
Marklar
₥0
I'm looking at the receipt to the copy of Indiana Jones and the Raiders of the Lost Ark it says "DUE BACK: SATURDAY 12/16/06". Wow, well isn't that fun, because it's a fucking old movie and I rented it Friday night from Blockbuster, and the kid working the register said Monday. That, and they rejected my friend's card for not renting anything for 3 months ( :wtf: ) and to verify mine they had to call the store I got it at back in Long Beach ( :wtf: ). Said other store put them on hold for 10 mins while I stood there with someone behind me in line. When I offered him to go first, he said he was going to have the same problem, so ... God, I'm glad he kept his cool.

And that pretty much just breaks it. I now hate all of the rental stores within a reasonable driving distance of me. Albertsons and HollyWood too often don't have videos that should just be staples. Netflix requires too much of a commitment.

I just can't justify how much I end up spending in theatres, and buying DVDs costs even more.

I haven't bought a CD since I was 9 so I don't think it will be that different.

On a somewhat related side-note, I've also found that I enjoy gin+tonic / rum+coke / orange soda+coconut rum way more than beer, and it's about the same price. So that's another industry I'll kiss goodbye.

Some people will recommend Usenet to fix your problem. But the solution to all of my movie and music woes have been the 1-2 combo punch of Netflix and AllofMP3. (dot com of course)

Some people will recommend Usenet to fix your problem. But the solution to all of my movie and music woes have been the 1-2 combo punch of Netflix and AllofMP3. (dot com of course)
So do you think AllofMP3 is legal or not? I suppose you do since you pay for it instead of getting them elsewhere.

I really don't care about all the artists and support personnel who are dying of AIDS now because I pirated a movie or an MP3. If doing things the "right" way is going to inconvenience me, fuck 'em. Life is short. Play hard.

1165724637.gif

If you arent obsessed with getting everything as soon as it comes out 'On Demand' aint a bad deal, 24 hrs per movie.

I thought you were going to be complaining about the utter stupidity of most new movies. I watch maybe one a month cause they aer just... So... Bad.

If you arent obsessed with getting everything as soon as it comes out 'On Demand' aint a bad deal, 24 hrs per movie.

I thought you were going to be complaining about the utter stupidity of most new movies. I watch maybe one a month cause they aer just... So... Bad.

Dorm cable service ... :(

I'm with FlamingGlory, there's just not very many good movies coming out lately... and the ones that are good are replayed on TNT and USA so much, that they arn't worth renting... and with my usenet collection...

The best part of netflix is it recommends movies to you that you might like if you pick some other movie... so you end up with alot of good suggestions for movies you've never seen that end up being decent enough to watch at least once. I heard on the radio they have plans starting at like $5.99 a month now too... (which, upon looking at their website just now, lets you rent 2 movies a month. Not bad for the selection and the delivered to your door aspect.)

I think out of the hundred or so movies that Hollywood pushes out each year maybe 4 or 5 of them are original ideas that are well done and worth watching. Everything else is either a rehash of something seen a thousand times before, some lame gorefest senseless horror movie, or just bad old fashioned crap.

So do you think AllofMP3 is legal or not? I suppose you do since you pay for it instead of getting them elsewhere.

At best it has all of the legality of the international 'gray market'. I like to think that unless (until) they change the russian copywright laws it is more legal that using Napster and removing any DRM they inject, but less legal than buying copies of the albums and ripping them to my HDD.

I like to think of it in the terms that while I'm not really paying for music, I am 100% paying for virus free transmission of data.

At best it has all of the legality of the international 'gray market'. I like to think that unless (until) they change the russian copywright laws it is more legal that using Napster and removing any DRM they inject, but less legal than buying copies of the albums and ripping them to my HDD.

I like to think of it in the terms that while I'm not really paying for music, I am 100% paying for virus free transmission of data.
Well I just wasn't sure whether you felt you got any protection from the RIAA by downloading through them. Seems you get a little, but not a lot as it is a flimsy legality they provide.

Well I just wasn't sure whether you felt you got any protection from the RIAA by downloading through them. Seems you get a little, but not a lot as it is a flimsy legality they provide.

The protection is in the fact that at the moment, they can't currently subpeona the customer records from Allofmp3.com. And even if they could, all they would get from me is an IP address, no customer data has been filed as part of the purchase program. So basically until a broad, sweeping change comes over the russian copywright protection program, I think I'm ok.