Sp`ange

Flaccid Member
Nov 19, 2004
33.745091, -84.390205
www.uselessforums.com
Marklar
₥0
I posed this on the Abit forums last night. --->>>

I have a KV8-Pro with 1GB 2x512) of Corsair Value pc3200. A64 3000+ (venice). 9800 Pro AGP 128. Antec SP-500 (500 watt) PSU. I've had ZERO problems with this config for the last year. It has sayed on almost the whole time. Only down times was when my UPS failed. Very solid build. Until..

I went to get the latest and greatest drivers for my mobo (I knew I shouldn't fix what is not broken) and I decided to actually look through the uGuru tools. I opened the OC Guru and figured out what everything did and hit the Turbo button to see ho it would run. Bam. BSOD. Something about an IRQ error. Don't remember the exact wording, but is the first time I ave recieved a BSOD on this machine. I shut down the machine and it has yet to come back. POST code of 05. I have yet to get anything to change this. I cleared the CMOS about 10 times. Including unplugging everything from the board and let it sit overnight. No dice. I don't have any other RAM for this machine, but I did try different combinations of the RAM in different slots or by themselves. I even tried a different video card and a different PSU (no-name brand 450watt). Nothing gets this thing past the 05 error. I've even pulled the board and had nothing but a keyboard, video, RAM and psu.

WTF?!!?? I thought the OC Guru was pretty safe to use. I've pushed machines pretty far through BIOS and never had this kind of problem. Is my machine completely trashed?

I already searched the forums and the web for problems relating to a working machine crashing because of OC Guru and the POST 05 post code. I tried everything I can think of and don't know what else to do.

please help. :)

marty shaw said:
Wow, that is unfortunate. :frown:

05 post code means:
1. Blank out screen.
2.Clear CMOS error flag

You will most likley have to order a new BIOS chip from ABIT.

The BIOS chip is free.
you must pay handling fee $6.00 & shipping costs though .

Check out this link here:

http://www.abit-usa.com/abitparts/bios_chip_4.php

Anyone ever have a companies software fry their component?

One time somebody brought me a PC where they had changed the memory settings in bios and it wouldn't even recognize it anymore. All it would do was a long solid beep on power and an error at post (same as if it had no memory at all). I fixed it by removing the little battery (See Pic Below) from the motherboard and all power plugs from the board. then I put the battery back in and it upon reboot the Mobo had gone back to factory settings. That was an ASUS A7V board so I'm not sure if this will work in your case, but it can't hurt to try. Good Luck with that :(

KV8.JPG

Last edited:
There HAS to be a BIOS uh-oh key combo to hit that will reset it to fail-safe settings. I had an Abit board once and I remember it being like power it on and off 3 times with Page Down pressed or some shit. Should be in the manual.

When was the board made?

I was wrong, looks like its the Insert key. Dunno if it will work, but its worth a shot...

EDIT: Know anyone else with one? If so, you can hot flash it...

Last edited:
:( that sucks. That's about the extent of what I could think to do...beyond replacing the BIOS chip as suggested in your first post. The moral of this story is definitely never flash any BIOS unless there is soemthing wrong or some new feature you need.

SpangeMonkee said:
I didn't flash the BIOS.
ok then that is the moral of another story, still a good moral. New moral of this story: always use protection when molesting farm animals.

ERage said:
ok then that is the moral of another story, still a good moral. New moral of this story: always use protection when molesting farm animals.

sorry, can't do it...it kills the intimacy

so I finally received my brand spakin' new BIOS from ABIT. I put it in and nothing new happened. The battery had been pulled out and the CMOS jumper was set to discharge for the last 2 weeks. Basically, just the mobo sitting by itself. I even tried new RAM of the same brand and a different brand in various combinations. Still, nothing. The only thing I haven't replaced is the CPU. I don't have a couple hundred bucks lying around to do this check. I called Abit support and they told be to try everything that I have already tried.

He suggested that I RMA it. Is there anything else I can try before I spend more money on this?

Also, if anyone has some suggestions for a non-Abit socket 754 (with onboard sound and nic) motherboard, that would be great too. :)

SpangeMonkee said:
so I finally received my brand spakin' new BIOS from ABIT. I put it in and nothing new happened. The battery had been pulled out and the CMOS jumper was set to discharge for the last 2 weeks. Basically, just the mobo sitting by itself. I even tried new RAM of the same brand and a different brand in various combinations. Still, nothing. The only thing I haven't replaced is the CPU. I don't have a couple hundred bucks lying around to do this check. I called Abit support and they told be to try everything that I have already tried.

He suggested that I RMA it. Is there anything else I can try before I spend more money on this?

Also, if anyone has some suggestions for a non-Abit socket 754 (with onboard sound and nic) motherboard, that would be great too. :)

ah crap...I was totally going to make your day until the last sentence...have a spare 939 and 940 pin right here

edit:I have a whole spare socket 939 nforce3 system here if you are interested...built it a year ago and it's sitting in my closet now...talk to me

Last edited:
smileynev said:

if a mac mobo breaks, you can't get a new board.

can't upgrade chip.

over priced

note: typing this on a G5.

why_ask_why said:
ah crap...I was totally going to make your day until the last sentence...have a spare 939 and 940 pin right here

edit:I have a whole spare socket 939 nforce3 system here if you are interested...built it a year ago and it's sitting in my closet now...talk to me

I might just be interested. I will have to see how the RMA works out on this board.