I suck tremendously

Sarcasmo

A Taste Of Honey Fluff Boy
Mar 28, 2005
Austin
Marklar
₥663
I downloaded the 2 gig demo (wtf could it be any bigger), and while it's a sweet game with good gameplay, controls, sound effects, graphics and all that, what's the deal with RTS computer opponents always whooping my ass?

I put it on easy, but it makes no difference. 2 minutes in I'm still scrambling to get ammo and fuel points (this is on Skirmish mode, btw) and the Nazis already have 2 of the 3 victory points. 2 minutes later I'm trying desperately to build a motor pool and tank depot and hatch a bunch of engineers and infantrymen to repel the wehrmacht and mortar teams trickling in on my base, and within the blink of an eye they've got artillery, nebelwurfers, half tracks and tanks barreling in on me. How gay. I should try putting it on expert mode for a good belly laugh.

This is the case in every RTS I play. Age of Empires, Warcraft, etc. Computers cheat.

The game isn't THAT hard. Have you no experience with RTS whatsoever?

Utilize choke points, don't mass your forces, force the enemy into bad situations, etc etc etc.

It's got the word "strategy" in the genre for a reason.

I figured I'd give it a go since everyone has said such amazing things about it. I won't be spending the money, however.

find a copy of Anno 1701. Its pretty sweet. Its kind of an RTS, but not. And its in a colonial setting. Your basic get goods, build a city, good x and y needed for more sophisticated citizens, start new settlements on more islands, build a navy and army to crush your opponets.
Its damned fun and was up way to late playing it last night. (that ^$#$% pirate had to have his settlement destroyed!)

Its a beautifull game. But it does provide my PC a major assrapeing (2600+, 1gig PC2700, x800xt) with all the eye candy turned on. But in 1600x1200 with a lot of the water options and some details turned down, it runs like a champ. Ive learned to love 30 fps on new games (it is playable at that rate!)

I can only help with allies as I don't have much experience as Germans.

Capture points are essential to victory. At the start out, build as many engineers as possible and send them out to capture points.

Garrison buildings with riflemen with Brownings or Machine Gun Troops.
Use Snipers to pick people off and scout for you.
The Motor Pool is a lot more useful than people give it credit. I can turn the tide of a game with just a barracks and a motor pool.

Tanks are good but very easy to destroy if you're the allies and unless you have teammates aren't really worth much unless you get a jump on the enemy or you have calliope tanks.

If you like, I can post a strat of mine that I haven't fully tested or perfected yet.

find a copy of Anno 1701. Its pretty sweet. Its kind of an RTS, but not. And its in a colonial setting. Your basic get goods, build a city, good x and y needed for more sophisticated citizens, start new settlements on more islands, build a navy and army to crush your opponets.

April... A new game for us to play...

I can only help with allies as I don't have much experience as Germans.

Capture points are essential to victory. At the start out, build as many engineers as possible and send them out to capture points.

Garrison buildings with riflemen with Brownings or Machine Gun Troops.
Use Snipers to pick people off and scout for you.
The Motor Pool is a lot more useful than people give it credit. I can turn the tide of a game with just a barracks and a motor pool.

Tanks are good but very easy to destroy if you're the allies and unless you have teammates aren't really worth much unless you get a jump on the enemy or you have calliope tanks.

If you like, I can post a strat of mine that I haven't fully tested or perfected yet.
Yes plz

I built of ton of those armored cars with the quad .50s on them. Freaking crazy firepower that mowed down about 20 enemy infantry in 5 seconds. Then the thing exploded. So I rolled in a second car to take its place, and it also exploded. Turns out those little German field artillery units have a range of about 300 miles, compared to about 10 feet for my howitzers. I had to scroll across half the map just to find the guys who were shooting at me. Lame. Oh and they're conveniently dead accurate with every single shot, whereas my howitzers will blow up nearby buildings, put holes in fields...anything to keep from actually hitting the german unit it's targeting. It's a conspiracy.

And the whole "utilize chokepoints" strategy is great until you have to actually invade enemy territory to seize control points and victory points. Suddenly it becomes a cluster fuck of enemy tanks, field artillery, and those annoying little motorcycle machine gun guys that take forever to kill, even with flamethrowers.

Not sure what the deal with my snipers is, either. They're great in the field when hiding behind bushes, but when I send them into buildings (for example a church to man a steeple tower) they get picked off almost immediately.

I think the screen in this game is too small. When you have an entire map to scroll across, and 100 different units to try to move and strategize with, it's absurd trying to locate and use them all in the blink of an eye which is what the computer can do. With two people it's probably equal amounts of crippled retardation as you stumble about clicking like mad, making it fair.

Oh and what's the deal with those fucking tiny rolling things that look like little SWAT team robots? They cruise in on little tank treads, roll up to your buildings and explode, taking out the entire structure. I didn't know Nazis had suicide droids. Queer.

Oh and what's the deal with those fucking tiny rolling things that look like little SWAT team robots? They cruise in on little tank treads, roll up to your buildings and explode, taking out the entire structure. I didn't know Nazis had suicide droids. Queer.

You are obviously stupid.

Here's the strat. Remember, it is still a work in progress.

At start, build 4 engineers. This should take up all of your points available at that moment. The first three are to be sent out to capture points. DO NOT WASTE RESOURCES ON BUILDING OBSERVATION POINTS..........yet. Go for supply points and only commnd points if they aren't out of the way (i.e. right next to a supply point post)

When your 4th one comes out, build a barracks. Once he's done send him out to cap points as well. Build a rifleman and have him take a chokepoint. YOu should have at least 10 supply points captured by now and send one engineers back to build a supply depot and a motor pool. I would assume by now you've killed off at least one set of engineers (your engineers should work in groups at points you know will have return fire on) Select the Airborne class.

You want to start building at least 4 Personell Carriers. Upgrade one to the quad cannons. Send him out to mow down infantry, etc as they can't hurt him. As your XP gets up to 4 points spend 2 on Airborne drops and 2 on Anti-Tank drops. Drop both near your quad cannon and start building quad cannons like crazy. Every time you can drop an anti-tank, do it. The only thing that can take out your quad cannons should be destroyed promptly by your anti-tank stuff.

If you hear whistling, reloacate as soon as possible. It's best to send all these troops over to a know spawn point for an enemy. It will take some firepower to get there, but hopefully you pushed the quad cannon a fair ways out to there before you dropped the anti-tank stuff. Your main goal is 2 anti-tanks for every quad cannon.

Upgrade to browning rifles and use riflemen to supplement your quad cannons solely by protecting your supply lines and to start building observation posts. If you're holding your own, build quad cannons to protect command points.

This strategy will work exceptionally well if you have three people on your team. One focuses on infantry for the early attack, you focus on the middle with powerful offensive, and the third works on getting the armor out. You should be able to position your anti-tank close enough to take out tanks before they get to you. Hold that position until your teammate can get out calliope tanks. If the enemy is slow, then advance slowly with your anti-tank and your quad cannons. I've demolished two teams at once because I was able to get 6 anti-tank guns and 3 quad cannons into position. the 6 guns destroy a building almost instantly (and you can upgrade their bullets temporarily at a cost to do it even faster) If you do have three people, have one take the infantry class, the other take the armor class, and you stick with airborne. When people die on the anti-tank, drop airborne there to pick the gun up and start it up again.

This saves major resources as most of these just take time and get you closer to the population cap. Basically all you spend resources on are quad cannons and defense.

I did all of that except for the anti-tank drops I think. I'll shall give it a go later when I get home.