I ran CHKDSK and now everything is slow

ZRH

(retired?) Google-F.U.
Mar 5, 2005
<3
Marklar
₥21,157
As the title says. I found on this computer that CHKDSK hadnt been run since windows was installed (like 2 years ago) and I ran it on boot. Now everything is mad slow. Like it takes 30 minutes to log on.

Is it just some kinda indexing thing going on? Will it get better? Hep!

I wanted to reinstall windows on this computer but my parents dont think it needs to be done and they wont back their shit up.

Blah.

It's their fault if they don't regularly back their shit up. Let the computer go bizork and maybe they'll listen to you.

It's their fault if they don't regularly back their shit up. Let the computer go bizork and maybe they'll listen to you.

Meh, I'm the primary user. My dad is a management/project type so he uses it like once a week to download his work emails, and he has some wierd proprietary lotus notes app installed to access the company's network. I'll likely be kicked out if I put that stuff in the shitter.

Im easy, 200 gigs of photos/emails to back up and go. It's my fault for patching all this everytime it starts to break down.

You didnt really answer my questin though.

anything weird going on in task manager? any alerts under event viewer?

Nothing unusual running, nothing unusual in the event log. Apparently a couple scsi drivers failed to load and something about DCOM not registering properly.

Defrag, and see whats loading on startup. Could just be a pile of crap.

Also, just buy your own PC and forget about theirs.

It's defragged completely. Did that before running shkdsk, did it again after running from command. It's the taskbar and shit that is REALLY slow to load. Everything works fine, just very slowly and with an inordinate amount of HDD activity.

I'll give marklar to people who provide useful advice. :p

shut down everything you can in services(within reason)and then give it a boot...see if it fixes your problem and if so start adding things back one by one

shut down everything you can in services(within reason)and then give it a boot...see if it fixes your problem and if so start adding things back one by one

Hrm, doesnt make a difference. Running with just the display driver and other essentials.

Once I do something it seems to work fine after that. E.g. browsing the disk. Just the first time I start stuff it takes forever. blah.

Hrm, doesnt make a difference. Running with just the display driver and other essentials.

Once I do something it seems to work fine after that. E.g. browsing the disk. Just the first time I start stuff it takes forever. blah.

anything weird in startup under msconfig?

anything weird in startup under msconfig?

Well, Im not really sure what to look for precisely um... It looks good. These services are stopped:

Back Intelligent Trasfer Service is stopped.

Indexing Service is stopped.

Clipbook is stopped.

.NET Runtime is stopped.

COM+ System Application is stopped.

Logical Disk Manager is stopped.

Windows Installer, Plug and Play, etc. stopped... Which doesnt look right?

Well, Im not really sure what to look for precisely um... It looks good. These services are stopped:

Back Intelligent Trasfer Service is stopped.

Indexing Service is stopped.

Clipbook is stopped.

.NET Runtime is stopped.

COM+ System Application is stopped.

Logical Disk Manager is stopped.

Windows Installer, Plug and Play, etc. stopped... Which doesnt look right?

are there any services running for vpn software? I've seen cisco vpn shit itself and produce very similar results to what you describe

Yep. cisco vpn will slow things down big time. I had a similar problem with a machine I ran into a few years ago and emptying the prefetch folder helped as well. Also needless to say if its spywared to hell figure out a way to back it up and reinstall.

Yep. cisco vpn will slow things down big time. I had a similar problem with a machine I ran into a few years ago and emptying the prefetch folder helped as well. Also needless to say if its spywared to hell figure out a way to back it up and reinstall.
Actually there is no spyware. Blah. Ran the whole spybot etc. just yesterday. Need to check for cisco VPN shit with all the corporate stuff my dad put on here. Good idea.

if it has Norton ANYTHING, uninstall that shit.

Blah, no norton.

boot in to safemode and see if you still get the same problem.

I bet the chkdsk corrupted your profile. create a new profile, boot in to the new profile. copy the files from the original profile to a new profile (start -> run -> control userpasswords2.cpl).

I understood the first part, not the second. You mean hardware profile? o_O

Gonna try sys restore quick.

Actually there is no spyware. Blah. Ran the whole spybot etc. just yesterday. Need to check for cisco VPN shit with all the corporate stuff my dad put on here. Good idea.

Blah, no norton.

I understood the first part, not the second. You mean hardware profile? o_O

Gonna try sys restore quick.

he means user profile under docs and settings