I play WOW

I attended a raid once and even got two pieces of gear. This was in LOTRO. Afterwards I looked at the clock and noticed that 5 hours had gone by. I looked at the computer, briefly considered the wisdom of devoting that much of my life to a bunch of goddamn electrons and some computer code, and then went over to my dad's house to have a cigar with him on the patio. MMOs are a massive waste of valuable time.

I tell you what, though, time flies like a motherfucker when you're playing them. That five hours felt like one hour.

lol this is so true. I remember my first trip into Molten Core, seemed like an hour but it was more like six... I didn't even get anything.. After that that's when I decided to avoid the big time end game raiding shit.

I sigh when I look back at the hours pumped into Fallout 3, the KOTORs even the old Baldur's Gates. I can't do role playing games any more.

lol this is so true. I remember my first trip into Molten Core, seemed like an hour but it was more like six... I didn't even get anything.. After that that's when I decided to avoid the big time end game raiding shit.

I'm all for it if you're a kid in a bad area and raiding in a computer game keeps you off the streets or something. If you're of working age though, especially 30, it's just not right.

I actually felt embarrassed that I had played for that long, even though I was alone. Like people were standing behind me judging me.

:lol:

I actually felt the whole raiding thing was boring. It was so chaotic with 40 people. Everyone was yelling and barking orders. I was like this is lame.

yet you still play it on the order of 20-30 hours a week...

How do you figure as much? What part of "I play while my wife is working" don't you get. She works a PT job some evenings, that's when I play. This week she worked m,t,w,f. I get home from work at 6, cook dinner and clean up done by 7:30 and I sit down and play wow till around 9:30 when she walks in.
2 x 4 does not = 20-30.

How do you figure as much? What part of "I play while my wife is working" don't you get. She works a PT job some evenings, that's when I play. This week she worked m,t,w,f. I get home from work at 6, cook dinner and clean up done by 7:30 and I sit down and play wow till around 9:30 when she walks in.
2 x 4 does not = 20-30.

Fallout 3 and KOTORS are nothing like MMOs though. They have an end goal in site and very little reward for repeat playing.

I feel this way about MMOs. From a business aspect, MMOs depend upon hours logged. They get those hours from players who grind. Everything is a grind in MMOs. Even simple quests are time sinks that can take 15 minutes to complete. More advanced ones can take an hour.

Quest goals, raid gear... The more they can keep you online endlessly grinding away, the more money they will make.

As a result I feel like 98% of my time in MMOs is spent doing useless, invaluable shit. Sure after an hour of killing 50 polar bears in a remote portion of the wilderness I may earn a handful of coins or maybe some kind of magical cloak or something, but the actual reward, the actual accomplishment, is trivial at best. It's only after many, many hours of similar behavior that you see any real benefits via level progression. And of course, even those improvements are mostly trivial within the scope of the game.

I'd much rather go put my feet up at a bar with a bunch of people and talk and laugh. At least you get a memory out of it. When's the last time you sat around thinking "Man, remember that time I killed like 43 bats in those woods by that castle? Good times, bro. Good times."

2 x 4 does not = 20-30.

blah blah WoW isn't for casual people, then why do so many casual people play? I play a few hours a night, hit an instance, crank out quests, improve my professions... I'd call that casual.

A few hours a night. That's what I'm going on. 3 x 7 = 21

yet you still play it on the order of 20-30 hours a week...

2 x 4 does not = 20-30.

Good to know I'm on ignore lists. I post this hours earlier and it's ignored.