I need your suggestions . . .

Dharma1521

Soooo do I look as young as I look?
Apr 5, 2006
Falls Church, VA
Marklar
₥2,197
So in case you didn't know, I'm a researcher for a IT Staffing firm. Which in plain English means that I go through resumes all day to match them to current job openings. Due to a shift in the market its becoming harder to find people that need jobs. When you guys look for jobs where do you go? Any suggestions would be awesome, I have a report to do on this.

haven't been in the job market for over 5 years though I am in IT...not much advice I can offer
if buddies of mine are looking for IT jobs I send them to our companies site
www.turnerjobs.com

I have friends in every staffing agency in town, so I don't go far. Occasionally though I surf Monster and other websites to check out salaries and locations. I also read through the classifieds in the Sunday paper.

jobs are easiest to get if you have connections. i don't currently work, but if i did, i'd be on the lookout for jobs through friends. i have a degree, but i don't think i'll really ever use it. :(

Thorn Bird said:
jobs are easiest to get if you have connections. i don't currently work, but if i did, i'd be on the lookout for jobs through friends. i have a degree, but i don't think i'll really ever use it. :(

what's your degree?

Sarcasmo said:
what's your degree?

you're gonna laugh...

communications. :D i wanted to be a copy editor at one point, but i'm not willing to sacrifice my family time for such a job (odd, long hours) and the pay doesn't justify it to boot.

i'd love to get my creative side paying off, but i'm a chicken shit and can't see myself taking a huge risk right now. if we had more money, i might explore it, but that's gotta be later.

i would love to be a florist or a train engineer if i had to work for someone else. i've come to these conclusions.

I found my current job listed in the Charlotte Observer (newspaper). All my consulting work comes from word of mouth and references. If I were going to look for a job I would target specific publications and professional organizations in my area of work like The Chronicle of Higher Ed., AIR (the association of institutional research), SAIR (southern region of AIR), SCUP (society of college and university planning), etc. You get the idea.

Check out some general tech professional organizations that are related to what you are hiring for, most people who belong to those orgs subscribe to some newsletter or magazine that lists openings. I should note though, often those organizations will not list 3 party job openings, usually only the direct employer can publish an opening which is why I like to use these sources.

Just a thought :)

Friends, aquaintances, etc first, then I hit the internet job sites, mostly the local ones.

Onnotangu said:
I resent that. Detroit's MLK is actually pretty nice.

and craigslist is pretty easy. also monster.

Of course you think that... you're black.

infor ban

Im only kidding :heart: