I need your software help geeks

fly said:
No. I want it for backups of PCs and software installs, where it isnt critical that the files be there. I would also prefer that the file be copied to more than one PC for redundancy.
wouldn't it be easier to just purchase more hard drives for your servers?

itburnswhenipee said:
Well, set up that mogfileFS thing on a linux box, configure a NSF client on each of your workstations, and go to town.

Alternately you could use a backup tape like the rest of the world.
To get anything done around here, including getting storage, is retarded. All sorts of political wrangling. We have petabytes of storage, but none is easily available to me.

fly said:
To get anything done around here, including getting storage, is retarded. All sorts of political wrangling. We have petabytes of storage, but none is easily available to me.

Ah... I see. You've mislead us. You presented this as a technical problem. Clearly it's a meatware issue.

fly said:
yes, but see above.
that must be nice, we have no storage. they skimp on everything here.

They yelled at me because i have 4GB of backed up data on one of the network servers. They claim it was "taking up too much space so that branch personnell won't have enough space." Who puts a server in with only 200gb of disk? I mean, seriously?

CletusJones said:

They yelled at me because i have 4GB of backed up data on one of the network servers. They claim it was "taking up too much space so that branch personnell won't have enough space." Who puts a server in with only 200gb of disk? I mean, seriously?
Yeah, but storage is just as inaccessable for me as it is for you. I think I'm getting 2 300GB hard drives and a gigbit switch. All ordered because its way too damn hard to get space (its all mainframe space, DASD I think its called...)

itburnswhenipee said:
You tell us. You're the one who appears to work for them.
I just work here. I had to fight for 6 months to get a replacement monitor because mine was so blurry I could barely read it.

fly said:
Yeah, but storage is just as inaccessable for me as it is for you. I think I'm getting 2 300GB hard drives and a gigbit switch. All ordered because its way too damn hard to get space (its all mainframe space, DASD I think its called...)
Wild. Our mainframe runs a SAN full of EMC drives and stores all its data there.

edit: that's the only thing they didn't skrimp on

CletusJones said:
Wild. Our mainframe runs a SAN full of EMC drives and stores all its data there.

edit: that's the only thing they didn't skrimp on
Yeah, they will spend tens of millions of dollars on the mainframe side, but I'll be damned if I can get a terabyte of their storage...

CletusJones said:

tell the branch personell to stop trying to back up thier entire hard drive every night like a bunch of retarted lemmings.

Onnotangu said:
bad idea. i have paranoid users..and I'm the only one with access to the data and those silly fucks still try to set bios passwords.

i hate people.
Set a setup password in the BIOS so they can't change anything. Thats what we do...

fly said:
No. I want it for backups of PCs and software installs, where it isnt critical that the files be there. I would also prefer that the file be copied to more than one PC for redundancy.

Get yourself some Acronis Disk Image..that will allow you to repartition the harddrive and store a full image of the system drive in a hidden, secure partition..WAAAY better than any backup solution..well until the harddrive dies...but you can have windows do incremental images so it updates the image file with the changes made..that way if a user crashes windows, you just load up the recovery cd and tell it to rebuild the C: drive. That would be your best use of the available space.

I do NOT suggest using those drives as "network drives"...harddrives are dirt cheap! If you need another network drive, go buy one and plug it into the server..better yet buy 2 and mirror them.