i need some ideas

Thorn Bird

Forum Mom
May 24, 2005
Marklar
₥65
so this baby's coming soon, and spange and i want to make sure that spangelet doesn't get left out or feel neglected from the whole ordeal. i have faith in her but she is still three, after all. so i have been trying to come up with some gift ideas and "special time together" ideas for her, both to celebrate being a big sister and then to stress that she isn't being replaced.
anyone have any ideas for me? i figure we could make a big sister tshirt for her together. i also thought of taking her to the cabbage patch kids hospital and buying her a newborn, but those things are $200!!! i can't do that. :( anyway, anyone have any fine suggestions? :hi2u:

Uh, I'd just let her deal with it.

Talk to her about it, explain what's going to happen to her, make her feel like she's involved. The baby is going to be born either way, don't reward the older child because of it.

Talk to her about it, explain what's going to happen to her, make her feel like she's involved. The baby is going to be born either way, don't reward the older child because of it.

i really don't think it'll be THAT big of a deal, honestly, but i have heard HORROR stories (and seen some in action) with the older sibs reacting negatively to the baby. one little girl exactly spangelet's age has outright said she doesn't like the baby, doesn't love the baby, and she doesn't want her mommy to love the baby either. if that DOES happen, i want to have ways to show spangelet that she's still part of the love and family. we have been talking about all this for forever, and i've even said that things will be different and she'll need some patience with me AND the baby, that we all have to share, and i think she gets it. but still...i want to be prepared.

Since you moved her to a new room you could decorate it really girly or something. Painting it up real cute in different girlie colors and stuff. Maybe paint a mural on the wall or something that includes her and y'all in it.

I go to school for that ;) ;), so I could help if you needed it.

She could pick out the colors and stuff. They have this new glaze that goes over the paint. It's pink glitter :fly:. It's a wonder it isn't on MY walls yet (I shouldn't have mentioned this, now I prolly will LOL). Cas I LOVE pink :lol:.

I suggest giving her vile-tasting chocolcate to appease her.

Or lock her in her room and tell her "Mommy has a headache. Let me alone please". That worked for my :(

Since you moved her to a new room you could decorate it really girly or something. Painting it up real cute in different girlie colors and stuff. Maybe paint a mural on the wall or something that includes her and y'all in it.

I go to school for that ;) ;), so I could help if you needed it.

She could pick out the colors and stuff. They have this new glaze that goes over the paint. It's pink glitter :fly:. It's a wonder it isn't on MY walls yet (I shouldn't have mentioned this, now I prolly will LOL). Cas I LOVE pink :lol:.

you know, i would totally LOVE to use you!! i should've when you were here...our house needs some taste, and we just odn't have it...i don't have the visions. i can't picture anything. man, wanna come over soon? :hi2u: i'm sure you had a few suggestions when you were here! :)

i love the glitter idea, though i wonder if the mister would enjoy that. :) he HATES glitter. :lol:

you know, i would totally LOVE to use you!! i should've when you were here...our house needs some taste, and we just odn't have it...i don't have the visions. i can't picture anything. man, wanna come over soon? :hi2u: i'm sure you had a few suggestions when you were here! :)

i love the glitter idea, though i wonder if the mister would enjoy that. :) he HATES glitter. :lol:

lol .. I'd love to. I like doing that stuff. I just repainted my nannie's bedroom for her (even though I hated the color .. bleh .. so bland). I don't go around re-do'ing people's houses when I walk in .. but if you ask me too, that's a different story lol. You have a great house to work with though.

I don't think this glitter flakes off very much though. It's inside a glaze, kinda like the clear finish you put on furniture (just not as extreme).

He better get used to glitter though. Just wait til she goes to kindergarten ... or even worse .. when she's a pre-teen :lol:. It's gonna be ALL over him HAHA.

2 words : Bonnie Bell :fly:

Last edited:
Since Hifi and I will be in that situation soon, i'll tell you our plan...

He loves babies, so he'll be helping with the baby things to make him feel like a big boy. Once the baby does come, he'll have a special night with grandma (hifis mom) since he adores her, and she'll be helping once a week by staying the night and getting the baby when it crys (she did this with Cole for us and it was worth more than any amount of cash). And thats basically it. We are just going to make him feel like a big boy and have him realize that hes getting older.

... hope it works.

Even though Haylee has been really good, I haven't just let her deal with it.

The things that I have found that have helped are to really make sure she is involved as Knyte says. Ky was always OUR baby, not just mine and Knyte's baby. I let Haylee help me bathe him, she helps get his diaper stuff, she gets to hold him and so on. But even with that I can tell when Haylee needs some one on one time (she tells me to "Put Ky down on the couch/bed/floor/whatever" and hold her.

I try really hard to do something that Haylee likes/wants to do everyday. If you have a good napper, this is a great time to do that. Haylee really likes art, so we paint or create with playdough and such. I try to get in a good hour of just Mom and Haylee time (now that she is adjusting I don't have to be as specific that it's just me and her, but in the beginning it really helped). Also, make a conscience effort to not always put Spangelette second after the baby, when Haylee really starts acting out, I realize this is happening.

If Spangelette is really active (as most 3 year olds are), make sure to have some fun activities you can help her with that will keep her occupied, but don't require lots of physical activity on your part for the first few weeks after you have the baby. This saved me during that first initial time that you are completely exhausted and can barely move.
If I think of anything else that has helped I'll let you know.

Last edited: