I need some career advice from my friends at useless

Penis Envy

Giant Member
Sep 2, 2005
Orlando
Marklar
₥486
A little bit of history on where i am and what i'm doing. When i first got the call about this position i was a little indecisive on if i should take it. I was at Dell corporate previously and sizing a rather large deployment which would have looked great on my resume. I got the call about NYC a week into it and they asked if i would mind being pulled from that cake job in Texas to be put on this emergency job in NYC. All is fine and dandy but the project has gone through a few tough times and will continue to do so. I wasn't exactly aware of the exposure i got with this position and thanks to my good friend who convinced me to come to consulting in the first place i'm now being offered a position in the north east region of our Global Services division, mainly the financial sector. The reason for the good exposure to the higher ups is i'm busting my ass here and turned the clients view of our company around.

I've decided its the best career move i can make at this point but the downfalls are i may have to move here. I make a modest salary at this point and i'm on the bottom run as far as job titles go. I would be promoted a few steps up from where i am and i'm wondering what kind of pay increase i should look for. I also have to factor in cost of living changes and whatever taxes may be taken out while i live in NY as apposed to FL. Anyone have experience or advice for this type of undertaking?

Its not exactly what i would prefer to do, as my family is all in Florida but the exposure i got because of this job has put me in a great position to negotiate and my name is now known to a much wider range of very important people including the VP of our Global Services department of whom i have a dinner planned with. I never thought this would happen as quickly as it did and i'm not exactly prepared for it, but i am excited about the possibilities and doors it will open.

I know its not a "So i'm dating this crazy bitch" blog thread, but hopefully someone has some insight.

Last edited:
Man, I posted the first happy reply before I found out it was only about work, tear

edit - I have nothing for you man except to wish you good luck in whatever you chose, I know nothing about New York.

Man, I posted the first happy reply before I found out it was only about work, tear

edit - I have nothing for you man except to wish you good luck in whatever you chose, I know nothing about New York.

Sorry to dissapoint :D If your looking for girl stories i have several... i do love new york :D

Take it. You can see the family on the holidays. Good jobs are hard to come by.

if they want you up there that bad, look to get some cash for the relocation expenses. And a fat raise is always a good thing. dont let them stick it to ya.

Last edited:
You also need to assess the amount of hours they expect from you, chances for growth and opportunity to promote, and whether or not you will get to boink the boss' daughter.

Seriously though, an extra 10 or 15k per year is not worth it if you are getting cornered in a dead end spot that has 10 times more stress and hassle. But this sounds to be like a high opportunity position so it might be worth it.

I say, if you can afford to do it, go for it. But NY is freakin expensive; i'm sure you know that by now.

You also need to assess the amount of hours they expect from you, chances for growth and opportunity to promote, and whether or not you will get to boink the boss' daughter.

Seriously though, an extra 10 or 15k per year is not worth it if you are getting cornered in a dead end spot that has 10 times more stress and hassle. But this sounds to be like a high opportunity position so it might be worth it.

I say, if you can afford to do it, go for it. But NY is freakin expensive; i'm sure you know that by now.

I'm going to base what i ask on how much i spend to "live" here now. Realistically i'm looking to almost double my salary. at a minimum 60 percent pay increase. Mind you say that because when i started HR limited what they could give me initially because of the department move so i'm low to begin with.

I'm being offered it because i've, in their eyes, shined at where i'm at now and i've saved the company and my bosses alot of hassle (sp) with this engagement. I've done everything that was asked and more, i just didn't realize it would benefit me this quick.. Sort of a shocker.

I'm going to base what i ask on how much i spend to "live" here now. Realistically i'm looking to almost double my salary. at a minimum 60 percent pay increase. Mind you say that because when i started HR limited what they could give me initially because of the department move so i'm low to begin with.

I'm being offered it because i've, in their eyes, shined at where i'm at now and i've saved the company and my bosses alot of hassle (sp) with this engagement. I've done everything that was asked and more, i just didn't realize it would benefit me this quick.. Sort of a shocker.

Did you show them your piercings yet?

all i can say is that whatever you TALK about, get it in WRITING. many, many friends have moved and resituated for promises that never come through. you can't afford to get stuck in new york waiting for a pay increase they said you would get three months after you move there. GET EVERY SINGLE THING YOU WANT IN WRITING.

good luck, and the best advice is to ALWAYS follow your gut instinct. also, are there other jobs like this around there you could do if this one falls through for some reason?

all i can say is that whatever you TALK about, get it in WRITING. many, many friends have moved and resituated for promises that never come through. you can't afford to get stuck in new york waiting for a pay increase they said you would get three months after you move there. GET EVERY SINGLE THING YOU WANT IN WRITING.

good luck, and the best advice is to ALWAYS follow your gut instinct. also, are there other jobs like this around there you could do if this one falls through for some reason?

Its consulting for the company i work for now, they just want me in a different department specializing in the financial sector it seems.