i need help in formulating an opinion.

IMO if you take a life you forfit yours. It's as simple as that to me. If someone is actually capable of killing another human being, espeically mulitple people or emergency responders (police), they aren't human anymore they are animals...lower than animals in fact.

Pandora said:
IMO if you take a life you forfit yours. It's as simple as that to me. If someone is actually capable of killing another human being, espeically mulitple people or emergency responders (police), they aren't human anymore they are animals...lower than animals in fact.

QFMFT

Pandora said:

i understand and agree to (i think) this, but who has the right to kill them?

Thorn Bird said:
i understand and agree to (i think) this, but who has the right to kill them?

Each individual has the right to protect themselves from harm from another. Society as a whole enforces this right through laws and the justice system. The justice system sucks but it's better than anything.

b_sinning said:
Each individual has the right to protect themselves from harm from another. Society as a whole enforces this right through laws and the justice system. The justice system sucks but it's better than anything.

ok...agreed...but we can lock someone away who's done harm to others without killing them. why the need to kill them? you killed someone. it was wrong. you were wrong. you're guilty. lock you up for the rest of your life. why kill you? i'm doing the same thing you did.

Thorn Bird said:
ok...agreed...but we can lock someone away who's done harm to others without killing them. why the need to kill them? you killed someone. it was wrong. you were wrong. you're guilty. lock you up for the rest of your life. why kill you? i'm doing the same thing you did.

Because if you deny someone their life you forfit yours. It basicly 'an eye for an eye'.

Pandora said:
Because if you deny someone their life you forfit yours. It basicly 'an eye for an eye'.

right, but as soon as i electrocute you, i've killed someone. it's just a chain effect to me. this is the problem i have. i understand the eye for an eye, but it gets to be an eye for an eye for an eye for an eye for...it's not two people trading turns to get the other's eye.

Thorn Bird said:
right, but as soon as i electrocute you, i've killed someone. it's just a chain effect to me. this is the problem i have. i understand the eye for an eye, but it gets to be an eye for an eye for an eye for an eye for...it's not two people trading turns to get the other's eye.

Nooooo, if someone has taken a life they have forfited theirs. It's not like you'd be murdering an innocent man (idealy, tho it has happened). Personally I sleep better at night knowing that men like Ted Bundy will loose what they denied others, LIFE.

Thorn Bird said:

Because those individuals can still kill or do more harm in jail. Or escape and do more harm. Some say it's a sense of justice. Why should the killer get to enjoy even one moment of happiness beyond the person's whose life they took?

Thorn Bird said:

But it's not an individual killing that killer. It's a system of code. One reason excutioners use to wear a hood was to avoid your loop. The excutioner represented Justice and was suppose to no longer be an individual while enforcing the verdict decided by the law. If cops just waked up and shot murders then it would be more like what you're talking about.

Pandora said:
Nooooo, if someone has taken a life they have forfited theirs. It's not like you'd be murdering an innocent man (idealy, tho it has happened). Personally I sleep better at night knowing that men like Ted Bundy will loose what they denied others, LIFE.

It is never that simple, though. Especially since in many cases they denied their victims much more than just life. Most people who are seen as deserving of the death penalty robbed their victims of their humanity before they robbed them of life.

And an eye for an eye is the wrong message to send the world. Suddenly you have people thinking they the "deserve" better things just because they were wronged in some way. While noble, this is far from the truth.

As for why you feel the way you do about the people there shooting.... I would say it has to do with the sheer concentration of negativity in the reporting. Sure, there were bad things happening. Looking at the mistakes wasn't necessarily helping, though; all it did was convince the world that nothing good remained there. Instead, I preferred hearing about the stories of people going out of their way to help their neighbors. Not only did it give me more empathy for the individuals, but it put even more perspective on the entire situation. Hearing the strength of character it took for some people to ensure the safety of someone else did a much better job of portraying just how bad things were (and probably still are) down there.

b_sinning said:
Because those individuals can still kill or do more harm in jail. Or escape and do more harm. Some say it's a sense of justice. Why should the killer get to enjoy even one moment of happiness beyond the person's whose life they took?

Also, jail isn't hard enough, they get to watch cable, and buy cigarettes, and go outside and excercise. I don't see how that's really a very good punishment for killing someone, raping a child, etc.

kiwi said:
Also, jail isn't hard enough, they get to watch cable, and buy cigarettes, and go outside and excercise. I don't see how that's really a very good punishment for killing someone, raping a child, etc.

After becoming a parent I think without a doubt the punishment for actions against children isn't harsh enough. You sexualy abuse a child then you should be castrated. You kill a child then you get 1 appeal to make sure without a doubt you're guilty then they should be killed. Only a monster could hurt a child.

b_sinning said:
After becoming a parent I think without a doubt the punishment for actions against children isn't harsh enough. You sexualy abuse a child then you should be castrated. You kill a child then you get 1 appeal to make sure without a doubt you're guilty then they should be killed. Only a monster could hurt a child.

QFT

Children are the most innocent and pure people out there and anyone who would hurt them should have their skin cut off in 1 inch sections.

i agree with every single thought here. i really do. i just can't think it's that cut and dry. it looks good on paper, sure, but there are sooo many factors. i believe people make mistakes. i believe a few will change. i believe in mental illnesses. i believe in denying people privileges such as cable and gyms. i believe you should be punished for a crime.
which leads me to this: why can i not believe in the death penalty, but i LOVE the idea of putting people like saddam in a tiny hole where he doesn't even have room to turn around in and show him a stream of video of his victims and their families for the REST OF HIS LIFE. hopefully that would drive him crazy or to a heart, either way. i'm okay with torturing someone while they are alive, but i don't believe in the death penalty. someone help me here, too.

taeric said:
It is never that simple, though. Especially since in many cases they denied their victims much more than just life. Most people who are seen as deserving of the death penalty robbed their victims of their humanity before they robbed them of life.

And an eye for an eye is the wrong message to send the world. Suddenly you have people thinking they the "deserve" better things just because they were wronged in some way. While noble, this is far from the truth.

As for why you feel the way you do about the people there shooting.... I would say it has to do with the sheer concentration of negativity in the reporting. Sure, there were bad things happening. Looking at the mistakes wasn't necessarily helping, though; all it did was convince the world that nothing good remained there. Instead, I preferred hearing about the stories of people going out of their way to help their neighbors. Not only did it give me more empathy for the individuals, but it put even more perspective on the entire situation. Hearing the strength of character it took for some people to ensure the safety of someone else did a much better job of portraying just how bad things were (and probably still are) down there.

Oh I listened to the good stories too. I saw a story on CNN about a shoe store manager that lost her husband, her home and her job. She swam out of her home during the storm saving herself and her daughter. She's been working as a medic on one of the ships housing rescue workers. She even sent her daughter off to relatives and stayed to continue helping the rescue workers.

It's stories like that which make me so upset at the 'refugees' that can't even throw their own trash away. There were people who lost soooo much, yet still managed to turn around and help others. Then there are the animals that shot at rescue workers. They should have just be shot on sight.

Last edited: