i need help in formulating an opinion.

Thorn Bird

Forum Mom
May 24, 2005
Marklar
₥65
i knew that would get your opinion. yes, YOU.

i don't believe in the death penalty. BUT...the recent happenings in NO where people were shooting at help, etc. led me to instinctly say, "kill those mofos...if they are going to take advantage of a traumatic time, kill 'em dead."

now, this has rattled me because i didn't know i'd feel this way. since there's such a spicy audience here with sound minds (most of you anyway, and stop reading now, nev and elpmis;) ;) ), i figured y'all would help me figure out how i feel about this.
and....

GO. (without criticizing others' opinions, please.)

Its an emotional situation that spins out of control. I'm referring to you and them. They haven't taken life, so I think theirs should be spared. In fact, I think the only time people should be put to death is when they ask the state (including hospice people and prisioners).

What opinion are you asking for specifically? A justification of the death penalty?

It's strikes me as incredibly economic and fair. 1) In an ideal system, with swift justice, it takes less money to shoot/hang/electrocute a criminal than it does to house/feed and medically care for them for the rest of their lives. 2) By acting irrationally (commiting crimes) in society you forfeit the protection of society. Unconsciously the will of the people is toward balancing justice as much as possible.

kekeke serious but poorly thought out answer.

i guess i don't need an opinion about the death penalty. i am bothered by the fact that i don't believe in the death penalty but have no problem "allowing", if you will, (justifying, maybe?) the deaths of people i think are, to me, proving themselves animals -- they're showing their worst sides, true beings, perhaps, in times of tragedy. if they do this in a tragedy, why would they do/bring good in a normal or good situation?

i do not believe in the death penalty simply because i do not know of anyone that can rightly pull the switch on someone else's life, regardless of the wrongdoing the accused might've done. judgement is not for you or me. so why am i comfortable with ridding society of these animals in NO?

Thorn Bird said:
i guess i don't need an opinion about the death penalty. i am bothered by the fact that i don't believe in the death penalty but have no problem "allowing", if you will, (justifying, maybe?) the deaths of people i think are, to me, proving themselves animals -- they're showing their worst sides, true beings, perhaps, in times of tragedy. if they do this in a tragedy, why would they do/bring good in a normal or good situation?

i do not believe in the death penalty simply because i do not know of anyone that can rightly pull the switch on someone else's life, regardless of the wrongdoing the accused might've done. judgement is not for you or me. so why am i comfortable with ridding society of these animals in NO?
You are seeing them commit acts vis a vis knowing them as people. If you didnt see it and only heard about it later, maybe with their life story, you'd likely feel different. Over time it takes much more will to hate someone for something they've done than for who they are. This is where the divide is. If a dog bites your kid it doesnt mean it's always been a bad dog, it doesnt mean that it is going to do it again, but you are probably going to have it put down because you cant trust it.

No one person takes anothers life in a capital punishment situation in a civilized country. It's a consenses reached by multiple commitees of people belonging to the same society who are all acting as an instrument of the people as a whole. It's just people protecting themselves.

[The dog metaphor is only a metaphor people, if my kid was bitten by my dog I'd probably beat the kid for pissing off the dog.]

Oh, I don't think anyone here will have too much trouble guessing my views on the death penalty.

I tend to think that the death penalty is justified in certain situations (serial killers, particularly heinous murders involving children, etc.) but on the other hand if you discover later that the wrong person was convicted you can't reverse it.

We need to name the peopleshooting something. Umm..gangbangers.

Ok the gangbangers are not only shooting at help and then bitching abiut not getting enough help but are preventing aid to people that truely need it. Most likely they see this as a time that the law is at it's weakest so they are hoping to exploit this to build them some form of power base. Largely due to watching Scarface too many times.

On the death penalty, I am in favor of. I think the process shouldn't cost so much or take anywhere near so long. I believe there are crimes so evil you can commit that it's better for society as a whole to remove you for good. You wouldn't keep a rabid dog even if it was a purebreed.

Last edited:
b_sinning said:

Ok the gangbangers are not only shooting at help and then bitching abiut not getting enough help but are preventing aid to people that truely need it. Most likely they see this as a time that the law is at it's weakest so they are hoping to exploit this to build them some form of power base. Largely due to watching Scarface too many times.

What is it with Black People and Scarface?

b_sinning said:

On the death penalty, I am in favor of. I think the process shouldn't cost so much or take anywhere near so long. I believe there are crimes so evil you can commit that it's better for society as a whole to remove you for good. You wouldn't keep a rabid dog even if it was a purebreed.

and, believe me, all of this makes sense to me. all the logic, reasoning is very good. i understand it's cheaper to rid of them. i understand removing crazies is better for the public. i respect that even. i just wonder who actually has the right to inject/pull the switch/drop the blade whatever. i can't come up with a good answer for that. that's the only thing that stops me from supporting the death penalty. who's got the right to take another life, regardless of what they've done? (i do agree with fly that if sick/in pain and of sound, clear mind, you should have the right to have help in ending it...korvorkian or however you spell it...but that's another issue.)

KNYTE said:
What is it with Black People and Scarface?

Scareface was a thug that grew rich through drug dealing and violence. It gives the black man hope that he too can avoid working a real job and just shoot a few people and deal some drugs to get a Mansion, sports cars, and hot women.

I wholeheartedly agree with the premise of the death penalty.

BUT

IMO it should never be used in today's society:

=> IIRC It costs the state more money to push for the death penalty than it does to keep a prisoner alive for 60 years.

=> There's been several recent cases where people were on death row because certain government agencies withheld information that would've proved their innocence. (This scares me the most)

=> There is extreme pressure on prosecuting attorneys to convict *someone* so I don't feel too confident in their abilities to make sure it's the right person

=> Corruption among police departments and the aforementioned DA's

=> Death isn't a sufficient deterrent, 15-20 years of brutal torture is.

b_sinning said:
Scareface was a thug that grew rich through drug dealing and violence. It gives the black man hope that he too can avoid working a real job and just shoot a few people and deal some drugs to get a Mansion, sports cars, and hot women.

But Scarface was Cuban. Does that mean the people in Miami will have to deal with this same thing on a crazier level when they get "the big one"?

Bubbles said:
But Scarface was Cuban. Does that mean the people in Miami will have to deal with this same thing on a crazier level when they get "the big one"?

Without a doubt. But the cuban culture doesn't make gangster and thugs look like heroes like the other culture.