I need computer help!

Dharma1521

Soooo do I look as young as I look?
Apr 5, 2006
Falls Church, VA
Marklar
₥2,197
I have daily thoughts of throwing my laptop out the window. It has become mind numbingly slow. I have just redone my entire system and still its just terrible. Here are the specs on the computer:

Pentium M 725 1.60GHz Processor, 2MB L2-Cache
ATI Mobility RADEON 9000 AGP 4X video graphics at 32MB
14.1-in SXGA Monitor
60GB Ultra ATA Hard Drive, 4200RPM
512MB, 266MHz RAM
Microsoft Windows XP Home with Service Pack 2
1-year limited warranty
Dell Wireless 1450 DualBand (802.11 a/b/g) internal Wireless card
Internal 56K Modem and Integrated Network card
24X Combo DVD/CD-RW for Inspiron 600m
53 Watt-hour Lithium-Ion rechargeable battery

Do you guys have any questions? And no I cannot afford a new computer.

start > run > msconfig

look at all the stuff in the startup and see if there's anything useless taking up resources like quicktime or nero. update and run antivirus, antispyware apps. get all windows critical updates :o

defrag hard drive, get more RAMZ ^_^

start > run > msconfig

look at all the stuff in the startup and see if there's anything useless taking up resources like quicktime or nero. update and run antivirus, antispyware apps. get all windows critical updates :o

defrag hard drive, get more RAMZ ^_^

Hmmm I will do that I doubt that there is much since i just redid the whole system.

I don't even do those steps (defrag, spyware)... I just reformat whenever the computer is giving me trouble that is harder to fix than I would rather deal with.

Who the heck defrags anymore?

I don't even do those steps (defrag, spyware)... I just reformat whenever the computer is giving me trouble that is harder to fix than I would rather deal with.

Who the heck defrags anymore?

my downloads are usually in the form of small rar files so my drive gets pretty fragged up :o

if you just redid your machine and its still slow, you need more ramz and megahurtz. Go to frys and ask for some, they have lots.

Is there anything that I need to look for? I realize this may be as stretch but imagine that i am THE stupid girl.

ok not a stretch

now i go cut myself.

Insperion (sp?) 600m

are you on it right now? if not, flip it over and somewhere on the bottom will be a removable piece of plastic, about two by two inches, held in by a screw. unscrew it and you should find the memory sticks. there are probably multiple removable doors down there so if you don't find it on the first try just pick a different one. eventually you'll find the memory sticks. hopefully there is one free slot. if not any memory you buy will have to replace one of the two sticks (should be 256mb)

you can either buy directly from dell or buy the equivalent from newegg/tiger direct

edit: any of these should work

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...N=2010260381+1309221119+1309121111&name=512MB

dell's: http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/...=6436&l=en&s=gen&mfgpid=160108&chassisid=8406

Last edited:
Is there anything that I need to look for? I realize this may be as stretch but imagine that i am THE stupid girl.

ok not a stretch

now i go cut myself.

Just go to frys and ask for some megahurtz. Youll need like ten or twenty.
Yeah, better get twenty. Its cheap. Theyll give it to ya in a brown paper bag.
Then just stick a small funnel in the ethernet port and pour it in.
Easy pleasy lemon squeezy