I Love the Way Gas Smells...

crazymike said:
Biodiesel runs in lou of regular diesel.

Biodiesel is the same thing but more corrosive and burns much, much cleaner.

You can run Diesel engines on two types of bio fuels. WVO (waste vegetable oil) and Biodiesel.

WVO is running your car off filtered waste or pure vegetable oil. It requires slight modifications to the vehicle including a fuel tank filter, etc... This is the least efficient and most risky form of running it.

Biodiesel is just processed vegetable oil which works just as diesel in a stock engine. (older vehicles will need upgrade fuel lines so they don't rot). You can make this from filtered waste oil, or you can use pure fresh oil.

To make the biodiesel you need 4 ingredients. Methonal, Lye and suplheric acid.

The process basically removes all the glycerine from the oil. To do this you make methoxide (from the methonal and lye) and mix it togehter with the oil. There is a series of steps, mixing, settling, etc... which must be done.

Once finished you will have glycerine on the bottom, biodiesel on top. You can then drain this off and wash it. (you basicaly mix it with the water and then let the water settle to the bottom and drain off. You are left with pure biodiesel which will run in any diesel engine.

So far I've only made small batches in pop bottles. But I'm going to be making a large automated processor.

What're the costs involved?

wr3kt said:
What're the costs involved?

About $0.20-$0.50 a gallon plus the costs of your vegetable oil which can be attained for free at resteraunts.

wr3kt said:
Heh....but I'm thinking in terms of business production.

Interesting link I found:
http://www.unh.edu/p2/biodiesel/article_alge.html

yeah, algea produces the highest yield of anything they found. However, it's not like they can just harvest waste swamp land. It has to be algea grown in a controlled environment.

As for business production, it's really expensive atm. There is a few places selling it at the pump, but it's still more than regular diesel.

wr3kt said:
I bet they have a refinery in the UK, though...

I might have converted wrong, but that sounds cheap regardless.

They have refinerys here aswell, but they arn't as wide scale and they don't use recycled oils as far as I know. It's still in development and they are always coming up with cheaper ways of doing it.

crazymike said:
I might have converted wrong, but that sounds cheap regardless.

They have refinerys here aswell, but they arn't as wide scale and they don't use recycled oils as far as I know. It's still in development and they are always coming up with cheaper ways of doing it.

I found that they mostly use food waste and animal oils. They have multiple sub-refineries for certain waste because the process is different for some things. The beuty of bio-diesel is that you can use almost any and all waste to produce it. So it could solve waste problems as well as fuel problems.
The biggest thing in the US is building refineries and getting it by the godamn fuckwits in the EPA.

wr3kt said:
I found that they mostly use food waste and animal oils. They have multiple sub-refineries for certain waste because the process is different for some things. The beuty of bio-diesel is that you can use almost any and all waste to produce it. So it could solve waste problems as well as fuel problems.
The biggest thing in the US is building refineries and getting it by the godamn fuckwits in the EPA.
The EPA is easy. Just buy them off, like everyone else. Just watch out for Big Oil... :rolleyes:

I did not read any of those comics. But yeah, gas smells good and skunk too. Yes it does.

ChikkenNoodul said:
The VW TDI's aren't THAT slow, faster than the Civic Hybrid I test-drove

My diesel F-350 gets about 25-26mpg :fly:

I find that hard to believe :p

The most I can get with my diesel ram is 20-21. Are you going by the overhead console or hand calculated over a tank of gas?

crazymike said:
I find that hard to believe :p

The most I can get with my diesel ram is 20-21. Are you going by the overhead console or hand calculated over a tank of gas?
Overhead console HA! I'm lucky there's a half-working dome light :lol:

Hand calculated of course

It's a '93, they're known for their superior mileage, particularly when broken in

CletusJones said:
cummins > powerchoke
Depends, the '93-'99 7.3 litre turbo powerstrokes are pretty damn reliable with great mileage

I personally don't much care for the new 6.0litre engine

The Cummins of course, are far superior in terms of power potential :drool: and equally reliable

The problem is, buying used - it's hard to find a Cummins cuz people either keep them forever or the rest of the truck disintegrates long before the engine goes :fly: