I hit myself in the leg with a sledgehammer...

i droped a tool on my foot the other day. it left an ugly bruise. moral is when using tools don't wear flip flops.

fly said:
One summer, I worked at my Jew cousin's steel mill. I had just got done sharpening whats called a slitter knife. Looks like this:

qsks-knife.jpg

The knife was oily and as i moved it to the table to hone the sides, it slipped out of my hand and fell to the floor.

Initially, I thought I was fucked, cause the knifes are EXPENSIVE and I just dropped one. Then I noticed my hand felt warm. As I looked at my left hand, I looked INTO it. I could see the bone, in between the blood squirting out of the artery. Shock is a funny thing, the thought that went through my head was, "You can't put a bandaid on that you fucking idiot."

I walked to one of the other guys in the shop, held out my hand, and simply said HELP. IIRC, his reply was, "OH JESUS." They wrapped it up in shop towels until the ambulance arrived to take me to the hospital.

Total damage:
9 tendons cut (all the ones that close your fingers, plus one more :happy: )
1/2 artery cut
3 quarts of blood lost (half my supply)

I had a total of 2 surgeries and was in rehab for about a year. I got about 95% functionality of my hand back. Apparently, the 5% I lost was worth about $1200 according to the state. :lol:

I currently work in a steel processing plant, I definitely can vouch for the seriousness of these things. (Also scary when a band breaks on a coil.)

Coqui said:
I currently work in a steel processing plant, I definitely can vouch for the seriousness of these things. (Also scary when a band breaks on a coil.)
Never saw that happen, but heard MANY horror stories. I worked my ass off at that steel place, it sucked. I wanted to be a crane operator, but noooooo.

fly said:
Never saw that happen, but heard MANY horror stories. I worked my ass off at that steel place, it sucked. I wanted to be a crane operator, but noooooo.

It's because of my current job that I will never stay near a semi on the road. I found out how much one coil of steel weighs, and I wouldn't want to be near it, if it fell.

On a funnier note, imagine what happened when a couple of guys tried to steal a coil of steel in their Ford-350 :fly: Time to get a new truck.

Coqui said:
It's because of my current job that I will never stay near a semi on the road. I found out how much one coil of steel weighs, and I wouldn't want to be near it, if it fell.

On a funnier note, imagine what happened when a couple of guys tried to steal a coil of steel in their Ford-350 :fly: Time to get a new truck.
How much DOES one weigh?

One of them big rolls of hay can weigh up to 1200lbs or so, that's plenty scary enough

ChikkenNoodul said:
Goddamn......

They wouldn't find much other than human paste under that

Exactly. You see a coil coming your way, you better hope there's a God.

Also the coils are wound so tight that if a band broke, imagine that weight coming at you incredibly fast as it unwinds. Needless to say, even if you just cath the very end of the coil, you're dead.

Like any man, I enjoy proving my superiority over all animals by transferring an object from my toes to my hand. On this occasion I was in a hurry. I picked up a sock and tried to fling it into the next room. In my hurry, I failed to realize the door jam to my right, and full-force smacked my foot into it.

Then there was the time I got out of bed and twisted my ankle.

We had horses when I was growing up, and kept an electric fence around the field when they were out. One day I had to fill up the horse trough with water, so I'm holding the hose and filling up the trough, when I lean over to see how much water is in it, completely forgetting the fence was on... My forehead made contact with the fence, while holding the hose, witnesses say I flew 6 feet up and 6 feet back and landed on my ass, still holding onto the hose.

Never been too bright, eigh?

zengirl said:
We had horses when I was growing up, and kept an electric fence around the field when they were out. One day I had to fill up the horse trough with water, so I'm holding the hose and filling up the trough, when I lean over to see how much water is in it, completely forgetting the fence was on... My forehead made contact with the fence, while holding the hose, witnesses say I flew 6 feet up and 6 feet back and landed on my ass, still holding onto the hose.

Never been too bright, eigh?
waffles

CletusJones said:
Well another time, I had spent the day cleaning out horse stalls. This entails using a pitchfork to fork out the dirty straw onto a trailer, once the trailer is full, we tractored that to the garden and used it as fertilizer.

We had just finished unloading and the tractor was hauling the trailer back to the barn, I was exhausted and hitching a ride on the back of the trailer when I was told to shut the garage door. I jumped off of the trailer, ran to the door, closed it and ran back to the trailer in hopes of hopping back on to hitch a ride back to the barn.

I'm running behind the tractor, slam my hands down on the trailer and look down to see I've just slammed my hand down on the pitchfork, which has gone through my hand... I'm still running behind the trailer. I freak out, pull my hand off of the pitchfork (still running) and then hightail it into the house.

I still have a scar from that, almost lost a finger.

I'm not very careful, am I?

zengirl said:
Well another time, I had spent the day cleaning out horse stalls. This entails using a pitchfork to fork out the dirty straw onto a trailer, once the trailer is full, we tractored that to the garden and used it as fertilizer.

We had just finished unloading and the tractor was hauling the trailer back to the barn, I was exhausted and hitching a ride on the back of the trailer when I was told to shut the garage door. I jumped off of the trailer, ran to the door, closed it and ran back to the trailer in hopes of hopping back on to hitch a ride back to the barn.

I'm running behind the tractor, slam my hands down on the trailer and look down to see I've just slammed my hand down on the pitchfork, which has gone through my hand... I'm still running behind the trailer. I freak out, pull my hand off of the pitchfork (still running) and then hightail it into the house.

I still have a scar from that, almost lost a finger.

I'm not very careful, am I?
:lol: you should wear a bubble wrap suit

CletusJones said:
:lol: you should wear a bubble wrap suit
Well, we had a 2 story barn, and for some reason my brother talked me into jumping out of the hay loft and into the manure pile one day.

:lol:

Seemed like a good idea at the time!

A couple of weeks ago I was riding ATVs at my friends house. The third or fourth time going off the jump, I decide to just gun it. I caught entirely too much air and wasn't really ready for the landing. My head came down hard on the cross bar making be bite the right side of my mouth and the left side of my tongue. I rode back to where everyone was at and started talking to my friend, who promptly told me my teeth were all red. I bit a fairly large chunk out of my cheek and it was bleeding like crazy. Just for the hell of it I started drooling blood and freaking everyone out. I also split the left side of my chin open and messed up my right jaw joint.

Edit: I was helping my dad with some cabinets and stuck my finger in the way when he was knocking a support beam into place. Hit me right on the pinky nail. It immediatly filled up with blood and started throbbing. As soon as I got home I burned a hole through my nail with a needle. All the blood poured out and it felt so good.

I also broke my arm walking. I triped over something fell on my elbo and snapped my humerus bone right in half. I went home and told my mom that I broke my arm and she didn't believe me. It took her 30 mins of watching writher in pain to finally realize I was telling the truth.

Last edited by a moderator:
We built stud walls for the basement renovation project, and my father in law brought his super keen air-compressor driven nail gun over for fun and hijinks one afternoon...... as I was holding two 2x4's together, he pulled the (hair)trigger on accident, and I got shot in the finger. Luckily there's not a whole lot of meat there, so I'm thinking it just kinda bounced off the bone and didn't stick. Hurt like a mother too.......

When I was younger I was haning off of a swing et upside down at a firneds house. There happend to be a steel ladder underneath it and I feel on my face. That spot between my chin and my lis. Teeth almost went through my skin. then another time I was running in sandals and feel on the same spot on the street. And then another time I feel in the tub on the same spot. I have a permanent bump and a small scar.