I heard Penn's 'This I Believe' essay on NPR this morning

April23 said:
Bah, can't say it happens less the other way around.

(Most) religious people are quick to impose thier beliefs on others.
Oh I agree 100%. If everyone could just respect everyone else's personal beliefs we would be a much happier people.

Meh

*Fuxx Burger* said:
Oh I agree 100%. If everyone could just respect everyone else's personal beliefs we would be a much happier people.

Meh

:sigh: true true.

I blame the white people tho.

Fat Burger said:
It sticks out more for me that way, because usually it's accompanied with a "You're close minded because you disagree with me" statement :lol:

But I agree with the other two of you, it's usually the Christians that are stupiderest.
You are all going to heeeeeeeellllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll :mad: :mad: :mad:

April23 said:
Bah, can't say it happens less the other way around.

(Most) religious people are quick to impose thier beliefs on others.

Never said they didn't. But he asked how I felt and since I'm a believer the other side pertains to me.

The only reason I disagree with not wanting to hear this, is that was the bloody point of the segment. If you don't want to hear it, don't bloody listen. If you simply want to argue, don't bloody listen. If, instead, you are interested to know what someone else's (famous or not) view and reason for a belief is, then listen.

His piece was very well written, to me. I don't know as that I can agree with all points, but it is a very fresh perspective and I for one am glad to have heard/read it. One of the more interesting parts of it, to me, is the view it has towards those that do believe in God. There is clearly a stereotype there, but is it deserved?

taeric said:
His piece was very well written, to me.

There is clearly a stereotype there, but is it deserved?

I felt some parts were really logical, and some were just absurd. It was almost like two different people wrote it.

And almost all stereotypes are deserved by most of the people that fit it :p

Fat Burger said:
I felt some parts were really logical, and some were just absurd. It was almost like two different people wrote it.

And almost all stereotypes are deserved by most of the people that fit it :p

Stereotypes are always deserved by the people that fit them. The problem with stereotypes are the "false-positives."

The thing that I don't like about this piece, is it clearly implies that those that believe in a god are greedy and have little love for the world. The sad thing is, most of the greedy bastards I've known in life have been quite religious.

taeric has to be the most rational, well thoughtout debater I have read. :cool:

I need to find something to disagree with him on, as I'd like a go at him.